"Get to Google faster. Switch your default search engine to Google." (The last straw)

GoogBye GoogBye
Created: 2 years and 4 months ago • Updated: 2 years and 4 months ago
An open letter to Google ...

Ever since Firefox switched to Yahoo by default, Google has been pestering me to switch back to Google, despite that I have maintained Google as the default in my own browser all along. I have set Firefox to erase cookies on close, so these messages just kept re-appearing. It's been very annoying. I've tried hiding the popup with userContent.css, but this eventually stops working as Google makes changes to the generated markup. I've looked into writing userscripts to prevent the popup from opening, or to close it immediately after it opens, but again, these methods seem unreliable as Google keeps changing the markup and the obfuscated scripts. I've looked at loading an applicable cookie automatically through an extension, as I do for the few other cookies I like to maintain, but there doesn't seem to be any documentation regarding what in the cookies instructs the popup not to appear, and it seems that Google is moving more and more toward forcing these types of settings to be stored server-side and only usable in conjunction with session identifier tracking cookies. I've reached my wit's end. After using and recommending Google search and other products for most of my life, I'm moving to another provider. I was a loyal user who has been willing to jump through hoop after hoop to continue using your product in a way that works around the invasiveness of Google tracking, but we've reached one hoop too many. I'm finally ready to say "Duck it!" and "Goog bye for now!"

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

buckeye
why in the world would someone post a open letter in the form of a rambling run-on paragraph to google on a duckduckgo forum - is it me or is there a disconnect here?
posted by buckeye 2 years and 4 months ago Link