Windows 10 privacy issues - Make a Duckduckgo Operating System to help earn money

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 2 years and 1 month ago • Updated: 2 years and 1 month ago
Since there are so many issues of using Windows 10 as Microsoft are known to access your entire hard drive, I was wondering if DuckDuckGo could make a new Open Source Operating System and release all the source codes to Github so that other people outside from the Duckduckgo organisation can work on the OS. This OS does not have to start from scratch, it can be based on Arch Linux (as it is most customisable) and it gives so many free privacy features such as this OS has the ability to block third party tracking, free VPN service, built in Duckduckgo Search etc.

To generate money out of this OS, I would suggest promoting other goods within the other operating system.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

x.15a2
DuckDuckGo is dedicated to search and so we have no plans to create an operating system (or browser browser or email service). Our company and community is focused on creating and maintaining Instant Answers to power a better search experience. If you'd like to get involved there, we'd love your help.

Here's good information on privacy based Linux distros: https://vpncritic.com/best-secure-and-an...

Thanks
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader2 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
I understand that. How about this, is it possible to make an application for Linux that modifies an existing Operating System like Ubuntu and implement some of Duckduckgo's features such as integrating Duckduckgo's search engine, having a Duckduckgo theme to the OS with a clean minimalistic design. having built in gadgets. The reason why I suggest this is because this will promote Duckduckgo's company. And the more people that know Duckduckgo, the more people that will use it.
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 29 days ago Link
Jack232111
But if you guys decided to modify an existing operating system and made some few changes, then this would definatelly expand this business. Plus if this is going to be an Open Source Operating System, then not everything has to be done by the Duckduckgo staff, there will be volunteers to help build the OS.
posted by Jack232111 2 years and 29 days ago Link
Jack232111
This seems like a great idea. I also see this as a great oppertunity for Duckduckgo to become into something much larger. As the bigger the company, the more common to people this company will be. However I would only suggest that Duckduckgo only did a few basic things if they would modify and operating system, for one they should only modify a complete existing operating system such as Deibian. Another thing is that they should only implement a couple of features such as a clean UI and Duckduckgo integrated search engine. I don't see it possible for Duckduckgo to implement a VPN service since they do not have the money to afford high speed servers.
posted by Jack232111 2 years and 29 days ago Link
anonymous
Yeah sure you are right about the VPN service. But I really wish that they can make this OS.
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 27 days ago Link
rufus_oriam
Yes, it seems like it's a good idea
posted by rufus_oriam 2 years and 18 days ago Link
Kumar203
I like your idea, you know what they should, they should start a kickstarter project and gain funds to support this idea in terms of building an OS.

Bare in mind that this OS should be easy to use in order to make this OS more attractive.

Plus I would suggest that if this OS were to be designed, they should develop something for the phones as well.

I have a couple of suggestions for this project, they should support APK (android) files so that if phone users were to get this OS, people would want to buy it more. Also implement material design.
posted by Kumar203 2 years and 14 days ago Link
x.15a2
Repeat answer from above, PLEASE READ!

DuckDuckGo is dedicated to search and so we have no plans to create an operating system (or browser or email service). Our company and community are focused on creating and maintaining Instant Answers to power a better search experience. If you'd like to get involved there, we'd love your help.
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader2 years and 14 days ago Link
Kumar203
Yes I understand, you can say the same thing about Google, Google started out just as a search engine but later on it became something, big. Now they own few Operating Systems, they have made their own programming language, now they own their own cloud storage etc. So why can't Duckduckgo do the same thing?
posted by Kumar203 2 years and 14 days ago Link