FOSS 2012 donation nominations

yegg Staff yegg
Created: 5 years and 3 months ago
It's that time of year again -- donations to FOSS related projects!

Like in previous years, half of our donation pool (total yet undetermined) will be directed by the company and half of it will be directed by you, the DuckDuckGo community.

Based on your nominations we will probably pick a theme (or two) and select several projects that fit the theme(s). Previous themes have been "open data/information" and "security and privacy." Those are great themes and we wouldn't mind repeating them, but there could be others as well.

In any case, we'd love your nominations and suggestions, for both a theme and of course for individual projects. We particularly like projects that need donations, i.e. are a good bang for the buck.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

anonymous
1 priv.ly -----> https://www.priv.ly/
2 diaspora* decentralised socialnetwork -----> http://diasporaproject.org/

posted by [Old Forum mathisamicucci] • 5 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
How about machine learning and data mining?
i.e. , shogun, scikit-learn, pandas, ...
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
Like last year I nominate LuaJIT. Probably the most significant contribution to dynamic languages in the recent years.
zac
From Twitter, a user recommended:

http://www.nvaccess.org/

-Zac

DuckDuckGo Community Manager
posted by zac Staff5 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
Given its steady increase in popularity, I'd nominate Joomla!

anonymous
The Gnome foundation.
anonymous
posted by [Old Forum bad-paolo] • 5 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
Perhaps yegg should consider requiring people to sign in /register before voting as to prevent multiple votes by same person?

Anyways I would nominate www.fsf.org

As for good bang for the buck, that would be http://friendica.com/ "Friendica is what Diaspora should have been."
i say let Diaspora die already. The chaps who founded it just didn't live up to their promises, got more money than they've originally asked for and still did nothing great with it. And the fact it's not open governed just nails it down.

Thanks yegg for this awesome thing you are doing. This is how it should be :) I hope you will donate 10% of profits like you said. And I'm expecting it to be much much higher amount of cash than last year, considering DDG's traffic tripled last year :)
yegg
I'm not considering them votes, but more nominations. As such, adding reasons is clearly beneficial.

Last year we didn't have any profits, and we actually didn't have any the year before either, so we made something up that seemed reasonable. We'll do the same going forward.
posted by yegg Staff5 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
anonymous
I nominate PyPy!

PyPy is the fastest JIT (Just-In-Time) compiler available for the Python language.
Check out PyPy!

You can donate to different causes:

anonymous
I nominate Koha, the first FOSS integrated library system. Yes, those libraries with the books ;)

The official website is http://koha-community.org
(please note that 'koha dot org' is not the official website of Koha but a non-free fork)

Koha has originally been created in New Zealand for the Horowhenua Library Trust and then released to the world under the GPL. Like DDG, Koha is written in Perl. The user and staff interfaces are completely web-based.

Koha is used in thousands of libraries worldwide, from small one person libraries with a few items to university library consortia with 40+ branches, replacing proprietary software with license fees of sometimes several 100k of dollars per year, usually to be paid by the general public.

There is a rewrite of the search enginge taking place which still needs funding. A detailed RFC can be found on the Koha Wiki search rewrite page. More information about the status of the development can be found here.

I have contributed to the project myself. I am not affiliated to C & P Bibliography Services (responsible to for the search rewrite).
posted by [Old Forum narfnarf] • 5 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
How about the theme "productivity/content creation":

- The Document Foundation (LibreOffice)

- etherpad.org (open source, collaborative editing)

- Inkscape (vector graphics, alternative to Adobe Illustrator)

posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
There is also Evergreen, which seems very mature.

I'm really pissed off at Norfolk County Council. What a waste of taxpayers money, buying all these Windows licenses, buying even more of them for all the digital systems for taking books out and the like - and then writing your crappy and dysfunctional website (the search engine in pathetic) in ASP, meaning it's an expensive Windows Server license they have there. Bloody waste. There are great open source tools to do the same things. And then they complain (with posters - oh yes!) of having to cap the network speed for the computers and being unable to digitise books and other resources as they don't have enough funding to keep everything else running. Bollocks.

It's just a shame these things don't get used.
posted by [Old Forum evropi] • 5 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
+1 for the GNU foundation.

anonymous
My nominations for a "productivity/content creation" theme:
anonymous
LibreOffice.org please.
anonymous

I would like to propose the R Project for Statistical Computing - www.r-project.org. Although in many domains free software (in whatever definition) has become a viable alternative, R has really taken over the lead from all commercially available packages.

anonymous
I have a statistician friend who really likes R, considering it to be much better designed than SAP. I don't see why you would donate to it though, it's backed by a commercial company that garners a revenue of several millions of dollars per annum - Revolution Analytics.
anonymous
I would like to nominate Arch Linux.
anonymous
I think you should continue with security/privacy. We need as many independent developers as possible as the best ones continue to be picked off by the big commercial cos.
anonymous
I would like to see projects that defend the private-minded against the likes of Facebook etc. ie. enabling social networking outsiders and other innocent parties to extract themselves when their details are included on such sites against their wishes or just without their knowledge.
anonymous
I would nominate Mozilla and Ubuntu's expansion into mobile phones. Firefox can be used on any platform plus Duck can use it to expand whilst Ubuntu is the most adventurous of the Linux distros.
anonymous
Friendica - distributed social network that *actually* federates and *actually* encrypts traffic between all nodes.
anonymous
My nomination is for Kune, 'A web tool to encourage collaboration, content sharing & free culture'. I think it's an ambitious project that is under active development, with a working prototype and a passionate community behind it.

Other projects I'd like to see nominated:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/
https://www.torproject.org/

Cheers!
anonymous
Ah, no one already mentioned crypto.cat?

I'd say mozilla too (for Firefox).

But so many would deserve some help. How to know which require the most help?

Peace. Love DDG.
anonymous
LIbre Office and C
anonymous
- 1 for Mozilla and Ubuntu. They are both for profit corporations.
Canonical Ltd. is also not a friend of your privacy -- they may actually be hostile [eff.org] -- and do not seem to value their users much. Besides, they both have ample revenue streams; Mozilla brings in tens of millions of Dollars a year and Canonical sells their users to the highest bidder and has numerous digital retail properties.

+1 for ReactOS however. They've always been desperate for funds and developers. Their Google SOC initiatives always seem to be highly productive. With XP coming to EOL seems like it could be a consideration too, maybe not.

Mayhaps DDG could throw a few bones to the smaller developers of the addons you pimp @ FixTracking.com and elsewhere. Feel even a little bit there could meet the bang for buck requisite.

As an aside: You guys really should float several ideas for 'themes' that you already have ahead of time. Makes herding the cats easier. :)

-- Pierce
anonymous
- 1 for Mozilla and Ubuntu. They are both for profit corporations.
Canonical Ltd. is also not a friend of your privacy -- they may actually be hostile [eff.org] -- and do not seem to value their users much. Besides, they both have ample revenue streams; Mozilla brings in tens of millions of Dollars a year and Canonical sells their users to the highest bidder and has numerous digital retail properties.

+1 for ReactOS however. They've always been desperate for funds and developers. Their Google SOC initiatives always seem to be highly productive. With XP coming to EOL seems like it could be a consideration too, maybe not.

Mayhaps DDG could throw a few bones to the smaller developers of the addons you pimp @ FixTracking.com and elsewhere. Feel even a little bit there could meet the bang for buck requisite.

As an aside: You guys really should float several ideas for 'themes' that you already have ahead of time. Makes herding the cats easier. :)

-- Pierce
anonymous
Robot OS

www.ros.org
anonymous
I think it should be something related to ddd, and so I think the theme could be privacy and network security, again.
In terms of projects that rely on donations within this theme:
• Tor
http://riseuplabs.org/ - who make:
      ∘ crabgrass- a secure social network
      ∘ Monkeysphere - for secure browsing
      ∘ mailserver patches to not log ip adresses or transmit ip adresses or personally identifiable information over mail             headers.
      ∘ Other bits of software, documentation and advice to help privacy.
      ∘ They are also linked to riseup.net which offers privacy-enhanced services and advice free, including emails,             VPN, a crabgrass server, a jabber service, mailing lists, and an etherpad service for secure.
• Diaspora* and Friendica, as distributed social networks, and freedomboxfoundation, for developing servers to allow users to run their own instances, securely and at very low costs.
• Alternatives to skype and dropbox
anonymous
Riseup also run a lot of Tor servers, so you would be supporting the Tor project with that.

I like someone's idea of contributing to all the add-ons you suggested in "fix-tracking".
anonymous
If I could always have my way, I'd nominate my favourite programming language, which is Ruby (you are probably unhappy about this as the language is very similar to Perl and Ruby is taking all the Perl people's jobs). Maybe KDE e.V. as well, the software of which I adore, but the fact is, it's not going to be getting into many people's hands anytime soon. As for LibreOffice - although I see the existence of a competitor in the digital office space as critical, the UI is simply too clunky. The concept needs a complete redesign from the ground up as Microsoft did with its Ribbon or Calligra Suite with its interesting tabbed interface.

But in retrospect... I think Ruby is not as important - it's just another programming language, and, while it is definitely one of the best general-purpose ones, they come a dime a dozen and while awesomely designed, it won't affect many people. The Ruby core team is well paid as it is after all.

So I'm going to put my arm out to OpenStreetMap.
MapQuest Open, the results of which actually show up in DDG, uses this data. The Wikimedia Foundation honestly doesn't need our money anymore, though its efforts to finally bring up MediaWiki to the TWiki/Foswiki standard are finally paying off (partially thanks to the people's money). The OSM foundation though, certainly does. Your car could be depending on OSM data one day - in fact, many navigation systems already use it. You definitely want it to be the best data available. It could mean your life, or at least, being late to a meeting! I actually use this instead of the unfortunately venerable Google Maps for my mother, who absolutely cannot get the grip of local geography (streets and stuff) and is guided by shops and landmarks instead.

I think that's the most important one. It could change, even save lives. Nothing more important than when software affects people in the real world in very tangible ways. The lack of trap streets is nice too.

Beyond OSM, which is by far and away my first pick for a nomination, I'd suggest either the Blender Foundation which could transform the CGI industry (and several professional studios already use the software!), or the Apache Software Foundation, though I'm a bit wary of the latter due to sometimes managing relations with projects quite poorly and their sucking up to proprietary companies.

Anyway, your CSR policy is very nice yegg. When you have an audience that understands what open source actually means (and not 'anyone can go in and mess up your code', like the popular belief goes), CSR of this type really seems to work. I at least have mentioned this to a couple of people. I like the idea of CSR relating directly to a company's performance (e.g if you invest in the ASF, you get a better Apache Server - or well, nginx in your case though that's a commercial company now). It certainly makes it seem more than a desperate attempt to cover up a bad image (and tell you what - DDG has always been doing this type of CSR and besides I've never seen it get bad press on its tenets of privacy and the like). Keep up the good work and make the search engine better for a better world.
anonymous
Haiku operating system: http://www.haiku-os.org/
anonymous
OpenStreetMap++

anonymous
anonymous
+1 for OpenStreetMap. Really innovative project that still need to improve and reach its audience.
+1 for Blender Foundation. Community efforts to make Blender easier and more beautiful succeeded, then thanks to donation developers added useful features like tracking. If we donate, we'll have results.
+1 for Cryptocat. It shares common goals with DDG: privacy and ease of use.
+1 for PyPy's RPython, that provides an awesome framework to build JIT compilers (not only for Python, but also for Ruby - checkout Topas Project - and for any other language - you can even build a JIT compiler for Brainf*ck ;-) )
+1 for Python. It's definitely the easiest language to learn and to use, if not the best programming language. I think that, unlike Ruby, Python is a language that teaches you to code. That's not common.
+1 for Tor.

-1 for Mozilla. Even though it isn't a for-profit company, I can't understand why waste money with projects like Firefox Flicks. And I don't like JavaScript ;-)
anonymous
+1 for Harp.io!
zac
Thanks for the discussion, y'all! :) Please, continue to drop in any suggestions while we synthesize all the feedback! 

-Zac

posted by zac Staff5 years and 2 months ago Link
zac
Also, some popular suggestions that popped up: 

Friendica
Tor
Diaspora

We donated to these last year and, as our resources are still pretty limited, we'd like to spread the love around so we'll be directing the funds to your other suggestions. Check out all of last years donations here: http://www.gabrielweinberg.com/blog/2012/03/duckduckgo-foss-donations-2011.html 

-Zac

zac
Donations have been made! Thanks to all who contributed suggestions. We tried to stick to the general theme of fixint tracking (services/tools you can use to help lead a more private life online). You can find the full blog post here but, you deserve a TL;DR :) 

Company-side donations (tools we use ): 

User-side (you awesome group of people):

Thanks again for the nominations! We'll be back again next year for more input--so keep your eyes peeled and feel free to post here for next year's donations :) 

-Zac

anonymous
It's a bit late for nominations, but Cupcake is pretty cool: https://github.com/glamrock/cupcake