What is the DuckDuckGo Browser Hijacker?

OpalYeah7800 OpalYeah7800
Created: 1 year and 11 months ago • Updated: 1 year and 11 months ago
I've known about this for a while, but why is there this nonsense about a DuckDuckGo Hijacker? Especially considering the website takes the blaim!

Here are some links for people who don't know what I'm talking about: http://removevirusesfast.blogspot.in/201... , http://www.help-removevirus.com/duckduck... , and there is more. Could someone explain what it is, why it exists, and why it's not gone? Some people have even come here to Duck.co to ask about why they can't remove Hijacker from their browser. Can anyone from DuckDuckGo explain all the know about this supposive DuckDuckGo Browser Hijacker, or what I like to call, "DuckDuckGo's Evil Twin"? I would appreciate it if I could have someone explain what THEY know about it.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

x.15a2
I guess that if a DDG hijacker actually exists (which I have seen no evidence of) you would have to ask the persons responsible for creating\distributing the program what the purpose of the hijacker is.

From what I see, the 2 sites that you supplied are the culprits, not of spreading the hijacker, but of falsely misrepresenting DDG and it's search tools. The information provided in both pages is false and I certainly wouldn't download anything or take any advice from either of these sites.
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader1 year and 11 months ago Link
OpalYeah7800
Well, someone came to Duckco, and said the following: "Hello, what is DuckDuckGo, it randomly came on my computer one day, and I'd like to use Google. That might be evidence, but it also supports being culprits.
posted by OpalYeah7800 1 year and 11 months ago Link
x.15a2
Over time some browsers (Safari, Pale Moon, Firefox, etc.) have added DDG to their list of search engines (some have even pushed it to be the default search) and some users aren't familiar with it and conclude that their browser's search has been hijacked. This may or may not have been the case in this instance.
dd721411
Wow, articles from 2013 on the never-know-if-they-ever-exist-until-now websites. I must uninstall DDG right away. Oh, wait... ;P
posted by dd721411 1 year and 11 months ago Link
anonymous
Sounds like a crock. It's usually the others like Yes, Yahoo or Ask Jeeves that (used to?) hijack browsers. DDG is the opposite.

From an IOG.
posted by <hidden> • 1 year and 11 months ago Link
OpalYeah7800
Ask (Formally Ask Jeeves) does have several browser hijacking twins, including MyWay, MyWebSearch, EverydayLookup powered by MyWay, and the questionable variation of http://www.ask.com/ called http://xn--serch-jha.ask.com/ (a censored to prevent getting the virus). To find out more about browser hijackers, visit the MalwareWiki.
posted by OpalYeah7800 1 year and 11 months ago Link
anonymous
Sounds like FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt). I've seen this back in the '80s Unix wars, and now in the LinuxA vs. LinuxB vs. BSD vs un-named OS(es). I have people that I'd like to help that refuse to believe that LibreOffice is any good. They don't even see the FUD directly, but a friend-of-a-friend... Oh, and I've had to disinfect their systems that have the 'Ask' hijacker. or the (un-named) your free antivirus trial has expired..., and (hardest) on every window, call 1-800-helpful-tech-support... PS. I know nothing about viruses, and very little about UnNamedOS. This was after they'd paid real money for reputable anti-virus CD's and even more $$$ for the 'Geek Squad' I still can't get them to use something like MintOS...
anonymous
FOLLOW THE MONEY - Always keep in-mind that DDG is a threat to some extremely powerful organizations with unlimited resources with which to wage war (anti-competition) on their competitors.

The full weight of Silicon Valley is hard at work trying to discredit and undermine everything DDG does.
x.15a2
An interesting post, thanks. Regarding:
Quote:
The full weight of Silicon Valley is hard at work trying to discredit and undermine everything DDG does.
It would be interesting to review any fact-based information regarding this claim. Can you please provide links to credible sources?

Thanks!