DuckDuckGo Rewards

Aosc2 Aosc2
Created: 1 year and 6 months ago • Updated: 1 year and 6 months ago
I love DuckDuckGo because it doesn't track you and your search results don't follow you around the web as ads, but I am having trouble switching from Bing because they offer rewards like gift cards and sweeps entries. Please add a DDG Rewards program and I'll switch!

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

x.15a2
Not sure how to accomplish that without tracking seach activity.
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader1 year and 6 months ago Link
Aosc2
You wouldn't track anything. What Bing Rewards (now Microsoft Rewards) does is it offers entries to sweeps for Microsoft products and free gift cards to popular companies like Amazon and Starbucks. They have an idea about which brands are popular (e.g. in the news, amount of sales).
posted by Aosc2 1 year and 6 months ago Link
x.15a2
Right, but to do that they need things like your name, email, etc. DDG doesn't have user accounts and doesn't collect of store personally identifiable information. Additionally, this types of sweepstakes are often used to track user's browsing and purchasing habits, which DDG clearly doesn't have interest in doing.
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader1 year and 6 months ago Link
Aosc2
I was thinking it would be an opt-in program, unlike other sites where you have to opt OUT of some things concerning your personal information. They wouldn't have to do it to track browsing and purchasing habits--it would simply be an incentive. People will more often than not choose money over anything else.
posted by Aosc2 1 year and 6 months ago Link