Pass phrase life expectancy ?

bawldiggle bawldiggle
Created: 1 year and 3 months ago
Since November 2013 (in the old forum) I have struggled to understand how pass-phrases actually work, I understand the intended benefits
The major focus in https://duck.co/help/settings/save ... is on how secure are pass-phrases ... which is irrelevant to me.
I do understand a unique pass-phrase is an anonymous ID to my DDG cloud settings.

Is there any way of recycling my pass-phrase instead of creating a new pass-phrase every time I want to tweak my settings ?
- I am running out of wall space to write the latest pass-phrase on ;)
I don't want multiple settings, just one settings record will do me nicely

URL parameters are OK until I want to copy the search result URL into my research documents, where the URL string is extremely long

I am starting to suspect reference to my pass-phrase (whatever coded form it is in) is stored as a cookie in my browser, that identifies my (anonymous) settings. If all my cookies are 'Cleared" at any point, I suspect the critical pass-phrase cookie is deleted too.
If a pass-phrase cookie is deleted the concept of cloud settings are no more practical than a simple {Save and Exit} that saves settings as a cookie on my browser.

If cloud settings are changed by one PC operator in a group, that operator has to advise all seats of the new password ?

Q: does DDG use a cookie to store the anonymous reference to my cloud settings ?

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

x.15a2
I think that this page will answer your questions better than the link you provided:
https://duck.co/help/settings/cloud-save

Regarding "recycling" a passphrase, all that you need to do is enter your existing passphrase then make your changes then click the Save Settings button and your new settings are saved to the cloud.
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader1 year and 3 months ago Link