Confused new user; search history issue

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 1 year and 8 months ago • Updated: 1 year and 8 months ago
Installed DDG app on my Google homepage. Did a few test searches thru DDG, then checked my Chrome search history. In standard browsing mode, my DDG test searches appear in my Chrome search history. In Incognito mode, typing in some of the words from the test searches brings up DDG's URL followed by the terms from the searches. GET Requests is toggled OFF in DDG settings. What am I doing wrong? Thanks Duckheads!

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

x.15a2
To explain, tracking and history are 2 different things. History is collected by your web browser from any site that you visit (unless your are using Private\Incognito mode). This is not tracking and is not controlled by the web site.

Tracking means that web sites that you visit collect, store and (possibly) re-distribute your browsing history on their sites. DDG does not do this and does not store any information that can point back to you or your computer.

That was a pretty simplified response. For a much better and accurate explanation, please read this DDG web page: https://duckduckgo.com/privacy

Thanks!
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader1 year and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm far from an expert, but I appreciate the basic difference between History and tracking. I'm concerned about History, which if I understand your response, there is nothing DDG can do about that. For my purposes, browsing "privacy" includes the history as much as the tracking/collecting of other data. As described in my original message, Incognito mode in Chrome does not prevent Chrome's History from collecting the DDG searches I've done, even though searches done straight thru Chrome Incognito aren't collected in its History, which is why I assumed I was doing something wrong. I know History can be manually deleted, but that's time-consuming and unnecessary if I use Chrome's Incognito mode alone without DDG.
posted by <hidden> • 1 year and 8 months ago Link