DuckDuckGo W3C invalid

[Old Forum guest] anonymous
Created: 5 years and 3 months ago
Hello, I see that DDG receives some errors checking it with W3C tester, so that means it doesn't respect all standards:
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=https%3A%2F%2Fduckduckgo.com&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0

On a side note, I honestly don't like that websites use Html5 before it's even released in its final form... anyway, will you fix those errors? :)

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

x.15a2
Interesting post and it made me curious...

I tested a few other sites too, including Mozilla, Y! Search, some major online retailers, etc. The only one that I found with 0 errors was w3c.org. While some cleanup may be in order, none of the identified errors appear to be critical or detrimental to the function of ddg's search. 

posted by x.15a2 Community Leader5 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
Oh yes, don't expect big sites to respect W3C standards, they simply don't care. More often when you include external scripts, eg. facebook buttons... those scripts, plugins, whatever, don't respect web standards.
But this doesn't mean it's good to ignore them like they do.

DDG luckily has only a few of them, so I think you can fix them in a little time. I own website too, I made it w3c approved, but it's in html4, so I couldn't help in the immediate.
none of the identified errors appear to be critical or detrimental to the function of ddg's search. 
Yep it's not a crucial issue, don't worry. Most of the time those standards aren't to make functionalities work properly, but only to make websites display in the correct (and same) way on all devices and browsers possible.

posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 3 months ago Link
crazedpsyc
The problem with that is, browsers themselves do not respect W3C standards.
The standards have very little meaning, unfortunately.
posted by crazedpsyc 5 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
Speaking about html5, then yes, but html4 is much more respected afaik.

posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 3 months ago Link