Tabs and instant answers on lite and HTML versions

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 1 year and 5 months ago • Updated: 1 year and 5 months ago
Hi,

I am using the HTML and lite versions (duckduckgo.com/{html,lite}) because of my poor (student-grade) internet connexion.

I however miss the "Images" and "Videos" tabs on these versions.
Moreover, some instant answers such as "regex cheat sheet" are simply non-functional: they only display a link to the current page.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

x.15a2
That's correct. The non-JavaScript versons of DDG lack some of the features present on the primary site because of its heavy use of JavaScript.

One thing that might help (suggestion, not a recommendation) is using Opera browser with Turbo enabled may help a bit with your slow connection speeds.
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader1 year and 5 months ago Link
anonymous
Are these features (tabs) going to be added to the lite versions?
In the meantime, maybe tabs linking to the "full" version could be added for convenience.
The same could be done for some broken instant answers.
posted by <hidden> • 1 year and 5 months ago Link
x.15a2
No, the Instant Answer Selections (Images, Videos, News, Definition, Products, etc.) require the use of JS. The lite version is great for use with mobile devices (uses less data) and the HTML version is best for desktop use in low bandwidth situations so adding the extra functionality of the full version would mostly defeat the purpose of those light weight versions.

I'll ask the Dev's about links to full version, see what their thoughts are on that.
anonymous
Actually, trying again when the network is less congested makes no difference and shows that the JS is to blame.
[https://files.pacien.net/screenshots/14779970686931.png]
posted by <hidden> • 1 year and 5 months ago Link
x.15a2
It would be expected for JS to consume more resources and it is used to deliver more content. A couple of things that you can experiment with:
  • Try using the standard theme
  • Try disabling Instant Answers (you will still get the IA links at the top, which falls in line with your request for links to IA's but seems to reduce load time)
  • Instead of using settings from saved cookie or cloud, try using the bookmarklet URL.
I'll be interested in knowing if you see positive results from these suggestions as I did, but in short it is to be expected that the more feature-rich page will take longer to load.
x.15a2
Oh, I forgot to add that when I tested using Opera with Turbo enabled, it cut the load time by more than 1/2.