WANTED: exact search results

[Old Forum guest] anonymous
Created: 6 years and 3 months ago
why can't I get EXACT search results?

if I search for e.g.: "james bord"

I don't wanna find results containing the name of agent 007

I wanna find pages containing the exact constellation of letters between the quotation marks i.e. james bord

I hate when these public information devises stupidfy the user

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

crazedpsyc
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=%22james+bord%22 Tadah! no mention of Bond or 007 on that page. Same without quotes, even: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=james+bord 
posted by crazedpsyc 6 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
ok, sorry I chose a bad example... didn't even try it myself.

but when I use non-anglo-saxic letters like å I get results with a in the same context, maybe that's less grave but still annoying.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 6 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
Right now, DuckDuckGo doesn't have full support for non-English characters and punctuation. While they are recognized in our zero-click information, they aren't always in our web results. This is because many of the APIs we use don't recognize them yet.

David Mascio
DuckDuckGo Customer Service
posted by [Old Forum agreenearth] • 6 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
While DuckDuckGo generally makes sure that all of your search terms are in the search results, there are sometimes exceptions. Then I would suggest using quotes around your search terms. If that still doesn't work, tell us what search query is having the problem and we'll look into it.

David Mascio
DuckDuckGo Customer Service
posted by [Old Forum agreenearth] • 6 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=hardtack+graham+oyster+saltine+%22avernum%22&t=lm

I searched to see if I had ever posted online the stats for a party of adventurers named after various crackers that I use in a computer game, Avernum. I guess I didn't, but it still really bugs me that even when I include quotes, it gives me results that don't contain all the search terms. It's even worse when I don't use quotes.

Why can't it just say "no results, try different search terms", maybe give me suggestions, but not give me false results without telling me they're all false positives? It seems to happen most often with obscure search terms. It happens frequently.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 5 months ago Link
zac
That definitely looks like a bug but it's coming from one of our sources. We'll investigate with them and try to find a workaround in the meantime. 

-Zac

DuckDuckGo
posted by zac Staff5 years and 5 months ago Link
anonymous
Similarly, when I search for wine klik play, I get numerous results for either Klik 'N' Play or wine (beverage) but only one that mentions all three terms.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 5 months ago Link
ismelhaus
I see, it's pretty old topic, so I thing I should refresh it, because of it is very very actual. This behaviour is for me and many other people I know even more important than being tracked. And the search results are here very bad regarding this point. And it's not just one case, it's really general behaviour. And the results are there incorrectly not only when missing one of the words but even in case of "DDG thinks", I meant some similar but general used word.
1. Is there, please, some hidden reason, why not to supply less but correct results?
2. It would be really a "killer feature", if there would be a possibility of personal setting equal to giving quotation marks around the words, because of this gives at least a little bit better results.

Dreaming about search engine supplying what I search instead of what the search engine mean, it would be useful for me. ;-)
posted by ismelhaus 3 years and 24 days ago Link
ankit992
Shouldn't this be a feature of kind of negation. Like you want some words in your search and your results should not contain certain words, so there could be a syntax like

"James Bond" [#Negate]"agent 007"

This kind of syntax will really help in searching for people. As it can search for james bond pages where there is no agent 007 written and this have a higher chances of returning answers about people with name james bond and are really not a part of the movie.
posted by ankit992 3 years and 24 days ago Link
x.15a2
There is. From https://duck.co/help/results/syntax

Drop terms:
Use minus (-) before a word or phrase to have it not appear in results. Excluded words must be the last words in the search.

Thanks!
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader3 years and 24 days ago Link