Search results by date

[Old Forum jorbaud] anonymous
Created: 7 years and 4 months ago
On the left hand side of google you can choose dates such as the results from last week, last month etc and would like to see something like that implemented in duckduckgo.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

anonymous
This is not what you request : but you can already search by date. For this you must type in sort:date (or s:d) after your query.
posted by [Old Forum valentin] • 7 years and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
Hello,

I love duckduckgo.... the sort by date feature for me is a must... Compare searching for:

thanksgiving recipes 2012 npr

on google and on duck duckgo.

You will see that at the top of the google list there is a link to a page dated november 2012.

With duck duck go, the list is not sorted by date, and adding a sort:date to the search string above produces no result.

posted by [Old Forum guest] • 6 years and 5 months ago Link
zac
We're looking into that example!

-Zac

DuckDuckGo Community Manager
posted by zac Staff6 years and 5 months ago Link
caine
posted by caine Staff6 years and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
This is exactly what brought me here, and sorry, Etjaark, but s:d doesn't do the job at all.

The problem is you often want the most relevant results published or spidered in a given timeframe. Compare these very common kinds of searches:
  • What news analyses were made about Romney in the aftermath of the 11/2012 election? I want to search for Romney, in news media, published or spidered around 7 - 10 Nov 2012, in "most interesting first" not date order. G=easy. DDG=?
  • I last looked at 4TB hard drives in June 2012. What's the big news if any since then? The "big news" if any could be 4 months old and way down in date order even if still very highly ranked. G=search 4TB hard drive since June 2012, in relevance order. DDG=?
  • I'm interested whether an issue was fixed in Windows 8 final. I want to search for the most significant mentions of that feature since September 2012, anything before that will be useless speculation or relate to ther preview releases earlier in the year.
  • I'm researching historical news of how the British Prime Minister was seen and described in public media in the run-up to the Summer Olympics 2012.
  • I have a medical condition and I want to read research on a possible clinical treatment for it - but I don't want to be shown anything or any outdated papers more than (say) 3 years old. Among recent papers I obviously want to see the most relevant or highest ranked first.

In all of these the issue is the same - date-sorting and date-limiting have to be separable parameters. Huge missing parameter issue in DDG.

Please? :)
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 6 years and 4 months ago Link
zac
We're working on that ; ) I don't want to say too much but stay tuned--should have something for you soon! 

-Zac

DuckDuckGo Community Manager
posted by zac Staff6 years and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
by way of bump to this topic: the time search tool is one of my favourite features on google, and a real distinction over other engines. s:d is a good start, but if at all possible, a feature to specify last week etc. as above would be great!
posted by <hidden> • 5 years and 21 days ago Link
anonymous
Dear Zac, exactly this issue brought me here to you now, 2 years and 9 months later - the issue still prevails and is something really handy.

I would love to have an alternative to Google. I want to give feedback and want to use your search engine, but unfortunately you have to let yourself be compared to Google if you are to be a good alternative. I cannot come back in another 2 years and nine months to find out if your work bears fruits...

I use search engines constantly in numerous countries and for changing topics, I need to shift through a lot of information quickly and effectively and dates are crucial for me. Bing is useless and you could be a good alternative. Currently this stops me though and it has stopped others as well. I would urge you to change this.

I wish you success in this...

Best regards,

Rolf
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 7 months ago Link
anonymous
Dear Zac,

I've been searching the forum to see if there's already a way to search a specific period of time via DDG. Unfortunately I couldn't find this option, so I was wondering 2 years and 9 months later if there's already a solution for this issue?

When I'm searching for something specific I've to use google, but I'd rather use DDG instead of using Google...
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
I was just going to post the same comment
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
well, done now. better late than never.
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 9 months ago Link