Example 1: What browser addons do you use to protect your privacy?

zac Staff zac
Created: 5 years and 2 months ago
I switch frequently to try new things but the ones that stay the same for me (on Firefox 24) are:

Better Privacy

DoNotTrackMe

DuckDuckGo Plus

Anybody recommend others I haven't heard of? I'm pretty sure I've used all of them :P

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

ScreapDK
Personally, I always use many different add-ons. Actually it's a ton of them. : )

I especially like these:
[ul]
[li]Google/Yandex search link fix
It's long name , I know; but it is a huge help in protecting your privacy, when using Google.
TL;DR: I make Google not capable of seeing which (Google) search results you click.[/li]

[li]RefControl
It makes Firefox block and/or alter the referrer send to websites each time you visit them.[/li]

[li]Xmarks
I love this one! It's a browser add-on, working cross-browser/platform, that syncs your browsers bookmarks, between all of your devices. It's a must-have, if you're using more than one computer.[/li]
posted by ScreapDK Community Leader5 years and 2 months ago Link
ScreapDK
Sorry! Don't mind the "li"-gibbish in my above reply! I was just trying to make a nice little list. : )

Could we make it easy to see what BBCode is allowed, and what i not? : )
crazedpsyc
Yeah, working on adding at least a cheat sheet. You would want something like this up there:
Bbcode Code:
[list]
[*] Thing one
[*] Thing two
[/list]

Which displays as:
  • Thing one
  • Thing two
posted by crazedpsyc 5 years and 2 months ago Link
ScreapDK
Ahh! : D That makes sense. : )
BTW, I wasn't able to find a way of editing my post. Is this a bug?

If not, why not allow people to edit their comments? I mean, after all, you do have a CAPTCHA on the Sign up-page. : )
jackspider
i just wanted to see what happens to the indntation
posted by jackspider 5 years and 2 months ago Link
jackspider
i see, it doesn't indent as much because i have no avatar.
jackspider
i can't figure out how to add a comment to the conversation as a whole, at the end without the indentation.
jackspider
just trying to see what order comments come out it in the new site [sorry for making a mess]. jack
x.15a2
I really like how the replies and comments work on the forums, much better design than with our previous host.

One (overly anal) observation: Both Comments and Replies are provided, but when users click on "Reply", the entry box says "Add Your Comment", may should be "Add your Reply" or "Enter your Reply".

posted by x.15a2 Community Leader5 years and 2 months ago Link
ScreapDK
I think a "comment" is actually the same as a reply.

The term "comment" is used when referring to the actual "comment/reply" itself. I.e. as a noun.

The term "reply" is used, when referring to the act of making a "comment/reply". I.e. as a verb.

Acording to the source code[1], well as far as I can understand, it is the exact same "box" (HTML code) they use for all "comment/reply" input fields.

[1] A quick search for "Add Your Comment" in the source code of this platform, over at GitHub, reveal that the phrase only appears once.
ScreapDK
[http://i.scrp.dk/xkcd/1269.png]
Credit: xkcd.com
david_mascio
I'm a big fan of user agent switchers. They're great for protecting your privacy, and for debugging. (Chrome, Firefox)
posted by david_mascio Community Leader5 years and 2 months ago Link
ScreapDK
Me too! : ) You may want to check this alternative UA switcher for Firefox, which works on a site-per-site basis. : ) Link: UAControl
david_mascio
Cool add-on! Going to keep it.
posted by david_mascio Community Leader5 years and 2 months ago Link
This comment has been removed for violation of our forum rules.
posted by <hidden> • 5 years and 2 months ago