Feature Request: Bookmark To Restore Settings Without Using Cookies

spyrosoft spyrosoft
Created: 1 year and 7 months ago • Updated: 1 year and 7 months ago
Subject:
Feature Request: Bookmark To Restore Settings Without Using Cookies

The customization settings on Duck Duck Go are nice and I would definitely use them if there were a way to do so without storing cookies.

I am thinking something like:
https://start.duckduckgo.com/#theme-colo...

I would set this as my homepage. Each time a new browser session is initiated, the settings are loaded normally using cookies. The cookies are flushed every time the browser is closed.

This all works on the client side which protects my privacy a little better.

It also provides a method of making my settings portable. I use five browsers regularly on multiple computers, literally. If all I need to do is update my bookmark, that's a big help.

Thoughts?

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

x.15a2
DDG actually has 3 ways of storing\accessing user settings:

• As you noted, via non-tracking cookies, stored on the user's workstation.
  • Anonymous Cloud Save which stores your settings in a more permanent way (on a remote server in the cloud). No personally identifiable information will be stored in the cloud, and your pass phrase will never leave your browser.
  • Bookmarklet URLs, for example:
    https://duckduckgo.com/?k7=d0cdcd In Advanced Settings, select your preferred settings then click on Show Bookmarklet and Settings Data then copy the URL provided.

Hopefully you'll find one of these existing solutions will fit your needs.
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader1 year and 7 months ago Link
spyrosoft
Oh my gosh. It was in the right sidebar the whole time. How did I miss it?

Thank you.
posted by spyrosoft 1 year and 7 months ago Link