<Search Term>!<Bang> is no longer a thing as of 5 hours ago.

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 1 year and 1 month ago • Updated: 1 year and 1 month ago
Why does <Search Term>!<Bang> no longer work? I am using that all the time and I swear it still worked today and then it just stopped. Why?

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

x.15a2
From the Developers:
Quote:
Sorry about that. We did indeed roll out a change this morning that now requires a space.
We've been getting increasing amounts of complaints from users that were getting redirected to third party sites unexpectedly by performing searches that included exclamation points in the middle of them.
This issue would often be flagged as a security problem with users thinking their browsers or DuckDuckGo had been compromised because it was sending them to sites they'd never heard of seemingly randomly.
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader1 year and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
Wow; this will really impact my productivity and take some major getting used to. If any developer is here, could you please add an option in the right pane to make it how it was before? I loved searching for "some word!dcc" and hitting the spacebar is just unnecessary.
posted by <hidden> • 1 year and 1 month ago Link
x.15a2
From Development:
Quote:
We just reverted this change. Sorry for the confusion, we underestimated how often people were relying on triggering bangs this way. Going forward we're going to try to address the problem from a different angle, possibly clearer indication when a query will trigger a bang, or a message for first time bang users. Thanks for all of your feedback, it was helpful in coming to a conclusion here.
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader1 year and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
Wow, thanks! You REALLY don't save any user data and very little anonymous data, it seems! I still think putting an option in the right pane will make everyone happy.
posted by <hidden> • 1 year and 1 month ago Link