Giving a % of revenue to open source projects

yegg Staff yegg
Created: 8 years and 27 days ago
One thing I've been thinking about--not just to spread DDG--is to give a % of revenue to open source projects. In particular, I was thinking 10%, of which 25% would be directed at projects DDG uses, and 75% determined by the community. I wonder what you think of this proposal and the suggested %s.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

anonymous
What revenue?
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 8 years and 27 days ago Link
yegg
Haha--so true. Eventual revenue I suppose, though it has made a little from the sponsor banner on the sidebar.
posted by yegg Staff8 years and 27 days ago Link
anonymous
I like this a lot. In fact.... You could use set it up by wants -- ie -- we want an open source platform for perusing news (like news.google.com) but we want it open source so you can mash it up and get new creative ways to look at news online.
posted by [Old Forum gu3miles] • 7 years and 11 months ago Link
anonymous
That'd be really nice. What about the EFF?
posted by [Old Forum alecco] • 7 years and 11 months ago Link
anonymous
Yes, EFF would be a highly deserving recipient. I would love to see most of any money distributed to FLOSS projects that DDG actually uses. Giving back to the communities that make your business possible is a Very Good Thing. Like-minded advocacy groups (like EFF) would be another excellent choice.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 7 years and 7 months ago Link
anonymous
That's a wonderful idea :-D

I know this thread is old, but now you actually do make some revenue :-)

I would love to see you make donations to organisations like EFF.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 9 months ago Link
anonymous
Is that happening this year though? Those two were 2010 and 2011 (even if they were given out in 2011 and 2012, they were started the year before).
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 9 months ago Link
yegg
Yes, but we do it after the year has finished.
posted by yegg Staff5 years and 9 months ago Link
anonymous
Yeah I like the idea of giving 10% of revenue.

Maybe we could have a list of open source projects on this website. We can let people either vote (like, dislike), donate money, contribute to development (programming, graphics, translation), write technical documentation for etc.
Maybe people can even 'lend' money rather than donate. People can for example transfer $50 each, to help develop a new tool. Once that tool is created and generates enough money back it can be paid back to the lender. 

Any popular open source projects could be promoted in the main DDG website (like ads) to generate further interest. 
posted by [Old Forum omegodriver] • 5 years and 9 months ago Link