Financing model

[Old Forum guest] anonymous
Created: 6 years and 11 months ago
I like ddg, thanks for building the service.

I have a basic question... but who pays for the infrastructure needed to run ddg?

Take care and keep up the good work!

Michael

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

yegg
Thx--DDG has been mostly self-funded. There has been some experimentation with monetization that will continue and that I hope will result in it being self-sustaining!
posted by yegg Staff6 years and 11 months ago Link
anonymous
Maybe a flattr-button could be one of many ways to donate micropayments to DDG? Certainly not any large sums.. but anyway. http://flattr.com/browse/all/all/1
posted by [Old Forum heapstack] • 6 years and 10 months ago Link
yegg
posted by yegg Staff6 years and 10 months ago Link
anonymous
And perhaps offering email using zoho on the back-end? 
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 6 years and 10 months ago Link
anonymous
I think the best way to make Flattr a working funding tool would be to have a Flattr button for every search-results page instead of a single Flattr button for the whole search engine. I think in the long run it's better to have hundreds of Things with one click or two than one Thing with lots of clicks.

Many Flattr buttons (for instance, the ones at the Flattr Forum) use a script that automatically generates the Flattr Thing the first time they are clicked. Perhaps something like that would work... (?)
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 6 years and 9 months ago Link
yegg
The problem with this is that it clutters up and slows down the search results.
posted by yegg Staff6 years and 9 months ago Link
anonymous
How about a Flattr thing for every !bang or every 'goodie'? You could even have absolutely no buttons on DDG and interested people could find and Flattr their most used !bangs at the Flattr page.

The thing is that there's a limit on how much you can support a site if it has only one button. I can give more Flattr clicks to Techdirt because every post has a button than I can give to DDG, even if I subscribe for 12 months :)
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 6 years and 9 months ago Link
yegg
I see what you mean (about the limit), but not sure what doing one for each bang or goodie would entail. I don't really see a place to actually put up the buttons. In any case, it's ok :). I'd say spend that extra effort on spreading it!
posted by yegg Staff6 years and 9 months ago Link
anonymous
Will do :)
posted by [Old Forum basasa] • 6 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
How about a flattr button on the home page http://duckduckgo.com/ -?
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 6 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
Or maybe a link to Flattr titled "Donate" or something similar in the homepage footer?
posted by [Old Forum agreenearth] • 6 years and 8 months ago Link
yegg
Messed around with this, but adds too much clutter.
posted by yegg Staff6 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
This question was asked 2 years ago and after some google searching, I haven't been able to find an answer. Is there a good way that DDG monetizes?
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 4 years and 7 months ago Link
zac
We generate revenue from 2 sources: Advertising and Affiliate revenue: http://help.duckduckgo.com/customer/portal/articles/216405-advertising

-Zac

DuckDuckGo Community Manager
posted by zac Staff4 years and 7 months ago Link
anonymous
Is the flattr page https://flattr.com/thing/38589/DuckDuckGo mentioned anywhere on the DuckDuckGo website? I can't find out whether it's genuine or just a claimed by someone else.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 4 years and 5 months ago Link
crazedpsyc
It's real, and it is mentioned only in one place -- on the settings page, under the setting to disable ads.
posted by crazedpsyc 4 years and 5 months ago Link