DDG in Alternative Web browsers, continued

[Old Forum agreenearth] anonymous
Created: 7 years and 5 months ago
This topic is a continuation of the older "DDG in Alternative Web browsers" topic, which after 100+ replies became somewhat difficult to navigate.

From Yegg's original topic:
I've been trying to get DDG into the default list of Web browser search engines wherever possible. The big ones (Chromium, Mozilla, IE, Safari) are very difficult to get on a budget, but the smaller ones may be possible.

If you're involved with any of them, doing something like  Mithrandir  did for Trisquel on this thread  may be the way to go. 

That is,  bring it up on the project mailing list or IRC channel.  Clearly the more inside someone is the better.

As far as I know the only ones it is in there for right now are:
Other good targets I know of (I'm sure there are many others, and linux distros count too):
  • SeaMonkey
  • Avant Browser
  • ThingFling 
  • Camino
  • UZBL
  • gnuzilla
  • epiphany
  • Epic Browser

As for the big guys:
  • Firefox - talked to the right guy, but isn't interested at our level (probably wants rev share).
  • Safari - no contact
  • IE - no contact
  • Chromium - asked on the mailing list; they said it is the top 3 in each country.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

anonymous
I just edited your last post in the "DDG in Alternative Web browsers" topic, because in that last post you asked users to refer to https://duck.co/topic/ddg-in-alternative-web-browsers. That wouldn't get them anywhere... So I just changed the post to link to https://duck.co/topic/ddg-in-alternative-web-browsers-continued, thinking that it must have been a typo or something. And I locked that topic. Is that OK?

--
Dumb Search is a new site which combines social media with DuckDuckGo.
You can sign in with your Google, Twitter, OpenID, Yahoo or AIM account.
posted by [Old Forum sean-anderson] • 7 years and 5 months ago Link
anonymous
Yes, I accidentally wrote down the wrong link for the continuation topic. In the older Zoho Forums layout, linking a topic also locked it. Now it seems the two actions are no longer combined. Thanks for the help, James Hunter.

posted by [Old Forum agreenearth] • 7 years and 5 months ago Link
anonymous
Now that DuckDuckGo is a default search engine in Opera, I've crossed out the section in the original post regarding that browser.

posted by [Old Forum agreenearth] • 7 years and 4 months ago Link
yegg
It is the default in Midori as well.
posted by yegg Staff7 years and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
Thanks. I've corrected the original post to reflect that.

anonymous
I've just added Opera to the list of browsers.

--
Moderator of duck.co, pianist, creator of Dumb Search
posted by [Old Forum sean-anderson] • 7 years and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
One more browser to look for is Epic - www.EpicBrowser.com

Currently has very dull inbuilt search engine.

I suggested DDG to them: https://twitter.com/#!/epicbrowser/status/125863163391512576

Thanks,
Jwalant Natvarlal Soneji
posted by [Old Forum jwalantsoneji] • 7 years and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
Thanks for the help.

I've added it to the list and did some general clean-up on the original post.

anonymous
Just added Iceweasel to the list (because of this topic).
And I just posted about it on Everything DDG.

--
Moderator of duck.co, pianist, creator of Dumb Search
anonymous
How about Maxthon 3?
That's one good browser...
posted by [Old Forum ekydetik] • 7 years and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
Yep, Maxthon is missing! It's the 6th most used browser worldwide!
posted by [Old Forum rafaelluik] • 7 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
Orweb has integrated DDG.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 7 years and 4 months ago Link
yegg
posted by yegg Staff7 years and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
Awesome!
Just posted on http://ddg.plippi.com/.

--
Dumb Search social search engine
anonymous
Shouldn't this browser be in this list?

--
Dumb Search social search engine
yegg
Absolutely -- added. Thx.
posted by yegg Staff7 years and 3 months ago Link
crazedpsyc
Uzbl browser includes a DDG search shortcut in the default config, which is basically the same as saying it is in the 'default list'.
posted by crazedpsyc 7 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
Pale Moon has it on the default list of engines.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 7 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
In the Atomic Browser on iOS, you can hit the gear icon in the toolbar, pick "Settings" off the action sheet, tap "Search Engines" then "New Search Engine" and add:

Name: DuckDuckGo

And then tap "Save".

(I am in no way affiliated with the Atomic Browser, I've just been using it for a while to browse the web with a desktop User--Agent)
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 7 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
What happened to Opera Mini - I've read something on renderingproblems and defaulting to html - thus not able to add ddg as default search engine using the long press on the search bar.

Thanks - great product!

paul
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 7 years and 22 days ago Link
zac
We're looking into the long-press issue and there's a workaround, if you use Opera Sync to link your desktop and mobile versions. After linking, Opera Mini will then have DuckDuckGo available as an option in the search bar. 
You can also edit one of the default search engines to point to the DuckDuckGo address ( https://duckduckgo.com/?q=%s ) but the engine icon won't reflect the change, this way. 
posted by zac Staff6 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
How about Maxthon - I'm trying it out now

skivers
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 6 years and 9 months ago Link
zac
You can add DDG to Maxthon via the Search Engine Options. If you select the dropdown in the search bar, there should be an option to manage search engines. From there, you can add DuckDuckGo to the list of available search engines and set it as the default : ) 
posted by zac Staff6 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
what about pale moon http://www.palemoon.org/
posted by [Old Forum dgmurdockiii] • 6 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
It's already on the default list for Pale Moon.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 6 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
Just installed Opera :

About Opera
Version information
Version
Build
Platform
Linux
System
i686, 2.6.32-41-generic

And when I press the little down arrow in the search bar beside the search with google duckduckgo does not show up as an alternative browser, I would like to make duckduckgo my preferred browser, how do I do this?

You must find a way to make duckduckgo, easier to make as default . I am an average user, and this has become a tedious, trying experience. Even typing installing duckduckgo in the search bar brings up results that just do not work. I like duckduckgo, and use it but do not wish to continue to use it if I have to continue to use it by clicking a bookmark icon to get to it, makes it sem like duckduckgo is irelevant, and how as an individual do you promote usage if as an individual, I can not have it come up as the default browser. 

posted by [Old Forum guest] • 6 years and 7 months ago Link
zac
I'm not able to reproduce that. After a fresh install of Opera 12.01, I see DuckDuckGo as an available search-engine in the searchbox dropdown. Alternatively, you can visit the DDG homepage (http://ddg.gg) and use the options at the bottom-right of the screen. 

posted by zac Staff6 years and 7 months ago Link
anonymous
Thanks, zacbranni., the link  above worked and duckduckgo is the default search engine, I must have been searching in all the wrong places. Never thought to look right under my nose.

Weird that my version of Opera, does not show duckduckgo, as an alternative. Could it because I use a Tweaked version of Ubuntu? And Opera was pre-installed ? That seems Likely. Not to worry, duckduckgo is the default and thumbs up to that!
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 6 years and 7 months ago Link
zac
My reply isn't showing up but it says that I posted it---Just to reiterate: thanks for the followup. I'm not sure why the pre-installed version doesn't have it but we appreciate the heads up and we're glad you found a workaround. 
posted by zac Staff6 years and 7 months ago Link
anonymous
I've just installed Opera today, the latest version, and I don't see Duck Duck Go in the default search engines. I do see 'Blekko' though. 
posted by [Old Forum omegodriver] • 6 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
"Opera: Right now it is in the US, UK and Int'l English versions."
posted by [Old Forum rafaelluik] • 6 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
Lunascape6 would be a good target. Its popular with web developers because you can switch from Gecko to Trident to Webkit using the same session. Having tried it, its a very nice browser too.

Its Japanese originally but now has an English version. Seems to be on the up.

The above link is their forums which their developers frequent. Maybe not frequent. Infrequent.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 6 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
Thanks for the suggestion! We'll check it out.

David Mascio
DuckDuckGo Customer Service
posted by [Old Forum agreenearth] • 6 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
rafaelluik - I read that earlier, and I downloaded the English Int'l version and it was not there.
posted by [Old Forum omegodriver] • 6 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
AriOS GNU/Linux uses DuckDuckGo as its default search engine. http://arioslinux.org
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 6 years and 5 months ago Link
dashesy
@Guest had never heard about ArioOS distribution, seems interesting that as a localized distribution privacy is taken serious, maybe you can mention that in the features section.
posted by dashesy 6 years and 5 months ago Link