Are we going to see a duck go go email ?

[Old Forum nadernazemi] anonymous
Created: 5 years and 8 months ago
Thank you 

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

zac
Although this isn't something we're currently working on, there are a few good suggestions here: http://help.duckduckgo.com/customer/portal/articles/215614-email 
posted by zac Staff5 years and 8 months ago Link
dashesy
Even a redirect would suffice, and I for one will pay for it. I think email will spread the word quicker than stickers.
posted by dashesy 5 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
Thank you and I look forward to more services on Duck Duck Go :)
posted by [Old Forum nadernazemi] • 5 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
Paying for email ? 

Not a good way to start. 
anonymous
I asked: Should DDG acquire ShortMail.com http://duck.co/topic/should-duckduckgo-acquire-shortmail-com

But, I too would not mind a free w/ ad email with option to upgrade--like fastmail does. Even so Acquiring a small startup with all the work already done would still make better sense then built from scratch. That is unless it all has to be coded in perl #Getty ;)
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
+1 for ad-supported email accounts, with the option for premium ad-free accounts.

I wasn't sure about this when it was previously discussed in this forum. I am keen to see DDG grow as a search engine platform and not want it to become a "me too" version of Google. However, thinking about it, I believe the idea of spreading the DDG brand by using email accounts can only be a benefit, with the added advantage of selling more ad-space within email accounts.  
posted by [Old Forum azahartech] • 5 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
I respectfully disagree. 

Email should be free + a DDG blog should be available. 

It would be a success. 

There are two main blogging platforms; 1-Blogger and 2-Wordpress.

Both are simply and easy to use. 

Imagine if DDG had both email and a blog. 

Endless opportunity to expand. Should both be free. 

Don't charge users for money. 

You think Google/FB got where they are today with charging users money ? 
anonymous
Charging users for these services would be preferable to ad supported platforms which (generally speaking) mine the user's data, which, correct me if I'm wrong, is why we are all here using Duckduckgo, as it doesn't do this.

In response to the OP, might I suggest you check out gandi.net, I got a url, 5 email addresses and a slew of other features the other night for $15 a year.
posted by [Old Forum oweoqi] • 5 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
But it's okay for ddg to show ads on the search results? I'm sure ddg can leverage ads + privacy for email/microblog the same as they have done with results
anonymous
You're paying for it somehow. They sell off personal information to this day. You use those free services and you're paying for it somehow.
anonymous
Thank you for your suggestion. 

Can you please inform me whether that $15 is only the cost or registering the domain name for instance abc.com ? 
And whether they charge extra for hosting as well, because it looks like they charge $5 per month for the simply plan. 

Word press only charges $18 for one year and they host it and blogger only charges $10 for registering the domain with free hosting. 

Thank you 
anonymous
I really don't like the idea of DDG trying to be Google (or yahoo, or microsoft, or aol, etc) because there are too many opportunities to both neglect their core product (search) by getting distracted in the service delivery rat race, and because trying to create several competing services might give them ample reason to push their own services using search. If other Companies want to tackle email, or chat, or blogging, fine, Maybe these could merge with Duckduckgo down the line, but I think DDG should focus on being successful in search first, then look at areas of expansion.
 There's still room for growth in search results, bangs, and zero click info. That's assuming DDG can gain a steady profit from ads, DDG store sales, and donations. By trying to expand too quickly, they might become the very thing DDG users dislike, or run out of steam and end up bought out by Yahoo or Microsoft as a quick supplementation to bing or something.

anonymous
You make valid points but if MSFT or GOOGLE made me an offer I can't refuse, I would sell in a heart beat. 
Am I a sell you ? You bet. We are talking about millions in cold hard cash. 
If DDG is successful in attracting more users with blog and email which help spread the word, they should offer it. It is not really hard to offer these two extra services. 
They can stiff operate independently but like Yahoo and Bing they can work alongside each other to compete and breakup Googl'e monopoly which incidentally what it is now. I mean if MSFT had so much power it would be sued on a daily basis. 
Double standards is an amazing thing. 
anonymous
but in the case of elGoog they started out as "don't be evil" and for a long time they weren't.  In the race to make more money and win the search and ads race they have let their values slip.  It's a shame, but that is the bottom line.  People are no so integrated into google services that many can't move or lack the wherewithal to do so.
posted by [Old Forum emptystring] • 5 years and 8 months ago Link