Background color change for idiots...

[Old Forum guest] anonymous
Created: 6 years and 6 months ago
I'm the idiot.

I've tried all the suggestions and still can NOT get the color change to hold.

I am on Windows 7, Firefox 14.0, and IE 8.0. Google has just done the unpardonable, intruding on my search page with a crummy commercial. I want them gone. In fact, I wish duck.co would expand to a gmail and calendar.

However, until I can even accomplish something as simple as changing the background color, never mind insert a photo from my desktop, I am not enjoying the duck experience on a white background. And the only other color that holds is black? What were you thinking? Here is what I have done, in IE and FF:

I go to settings-------->
                      --------------->color
                              ---------------->drop down
                                    ----------------------------->custom
                                          ------------------------------------>use sliding color scheme to choose a color
                                                ------------------------------------>click on Save
                                                            -------------------------------->this is what the color page now says:

------------->drop down box now says #FFFFFF
                                                                --------------->the box next to Background is still white
                                                                        ------------>IF I click on the duck or on 'back to previous page'
                                                                              ---------->my selections disappear and it goes back to white
                                                                                    ---------->GRRRRRRRR!

I tried a Cloud Save and that did nothing, or it is too difficult for me to figure out.

So, back to my original question. Can someone give me an idiot's guide to changing the background color?

Thank you.

OH, and why do I keep getting thrown into a Zoho Forum? You people don't make things easy, do you.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

zac
Thanks for investigating! I'm a bit confused when you say Firefox 14 AND IE 8. Is it happening on both? If I use IE8, it DDG defaults to the lite version -->https://duckduckgo.com/lite   .This appears to be a bug, as it should point to the regular version: https://duckduckgo.com/  The Settings don't apply to the Lite or HTML versions so I can see the issue, if it's just with IE8. Unfortunately, I can't reproduce that problem in Firefox 14. It could be defaulting to the Lite version, if you have Javascript disabled, though. Can you verify if that's the case? 

-Zac

DuckDuckGo Community Manager
posted by zac Staff6 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
Hi Zac - yes, it happens on both IE and Firefox.

And yes, I just checked and I have Javascript enabled.

Is it hopeless?
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 6 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
Oh, I see what you mean by duckducklite.

No, when I go to duckduckgo, it goes to duckduckgo.com - however, when I 'sign in', I am pushed to a Zoho account page, and I keep denying access.

Should I give up? I won't go back to Google and their intrusive advert, though.
zac
Sorry for any confusion. The Duck.co forum is run using Zoho. To create an account for Duck.co, you'll need to sign up for Zoho Discussions. Duck.co operates independently from DuckDuckGo.com, though--so it sounds like you may have misclicked somewhere. 

Try clicking this link: https://duckduckgo.com/settings.html  and following your instructions above. Color-->Background-->Custom-->Home. If the settings don't, "stick" for you, can you verify if you may have Zune software installed on your computer (assuming you're using IE8) ?   

I'm not able to trigger this problem on Firefox but the only other factor that could affect this would be cookies. If you have cookies disabled, it wouldn't keep the background color when you click Home (but should save in your Cloud Save settings) 

-Zac

anonymous
Remember I said I needed color change for idiots? Well, it was as I suspected. I=idiot.

You know the slider thingy? I was ONLY using that and then hitting 'save'.

Welllllllllllllll................one must also move the circle thingy to get the shade of the color in the slider thingy.

Sooooooooooooo............when I thought I was done, choosing the color in the slider thingy, the circle thingy - are there programmer names for these thingies? - was still in the white!

So, a big doh, but without directions mind you because you assume we are techs, I saw the circle thingy, moved it, saved it, and voila.

A big thank you for your patience. Now, can you look into using a picture stored on the desktop as a background???

Thanks again, Zac.

zac
Ahh, great to hear! :) Duly noted about the picture uploads!

-Zac

dashesy
Just as a suggestion; maybe adding a few more default color themes would be useful for people to start from and do more customization. I personally love to have some border around my results in the dark theme similar to what I get Light version of this Stylish-based theme.
posted by dashesy 6 years and 6 months ago Link
zac
If you have anything in mind, can you add it to:  https://duck.co/topic/new-color-theme-ideas    ?

Thanks!

-Zac