UK Server

[Old Forum guest] anonymous
Created: 8 years and 4 months ago

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

yegg
Yes, I would like to do this. The issue right now is cost.
posted by yegg Staff8 years and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
Well, year has passed... Even if backends would be en US, you could cache most popular queries and data. I'm sure it would help a lot.

If that works out well, you could also consider asian server(s).

posted by [Old Forum guest] • 6 years and 7 months ago Link
anonymous
Well, year has passed... Even if backends would be en US, you could cache most popular queries and data. I'm sure it would help a lot.

If that works out well, you could also consider asian server(s).

anonymous
We have European and Asian servers now! We also have a more extensive caching layer that should speed up a lot of queries.

I'm sorry if you're not noticing the speed up :(.

The European ones are in the Ireland data center.
anonymous
I have to say that results that are coming from cache are coming truly quickly. So main problem is cache misses. But yeah, it's hard to fix cache misses if backends aren't "near".

This is clear improvement how things used to be. It would be interesting to hear some cche size and hit miss ratios. I know that some search are more popular than others, but how large the "tip" is, if we're using 80/20 ratio, it would be interesting to hear with real data. So is it true that 80% of searches are can be satisfied from reasonably large and fresh cache?

- SL
yegg
We haven't yet pushed it as far as it can go, so I'm not sure of the upper bound there. There are a lot of factors at play and we also need to build out more infrastructure, but glad to hear the cache hits are fast!
posted by yegg Staff6 years and 7 months ago Link
anonymous
Could CloudFlare work?
anonymous
For most parts, it won't provide right kind of caching