Talking Search Results

[Old Forum eric.leebow] anonymous
Created: 7 years and 10 months ago
How about DuckDuckGo have talking search results, similar to that of ReadTheWords.com with a Duck avatar on the side of each search result that would talk to you.  It would talk the Zero Click Info to you.  People would simply click on the duck, and the duck's bill would move with each and every spoken word. The duck would even finish with "Thank you for searching with DuckDuckGo!" 

What do you think of this super cool idea that I thought of?

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

yegg
Seems rather gimmicky but I'm not opposed to gimmicky (as long as if not the default) if some group of people really really like it. I had never heard of ReadTheWords and it does look cool, though they don't have much traffic. 

In any case, I'd be curious what other people think about this idea.
posted by yegg Staff7 years and 10 months ago Link
anonymous
This could probably be useful as an accessibility feature. Not that OSes don't come with TTS built in, but they pretty much s**k when it comes to reading web pages or result pages like this one. If ddg has speech built-in (I saw a nifty jQuery plugin the other day to do just this!!), then it could read out just the relevant parts (most of what the lite site displays, say) and "that" imho would be much nicer!! However, I am guessing that this would be a fairly time consuming exercise.

posted by [Old Forum dhruvbird] • 7 years and 5 months ago Link
yegg
Have you seen Qwiky? They ended up doing something very similar to this.
posted by yegg Staff7 years and 5 months ago Link
anonymous
I couldn't find anything about Qwiky. Do you have any links?

posted by [Old Forum dhruvbird] • 7 years and 5 months ago Link
yegg
Sorry--misspelling: http://www.qwiki.com/
posted by yegg Staff7 years and 5 months ago Link
anonymous
Loving this idea...but instead of a duck to make it stand out as an action button, it could be a small speaker icon in the bottom right of each search result, so when clicked it reads it out?
posted by [Old Forum wjack2010] • 6 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
Building on this, it could even be an icon of a quacking duck.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 6 years and 1 month ago Link