I Think I Screwed Up An !bang Syntax Submission

[Old Forum guest] anonymous
Created: 6 years and 8 months ago
I tried submitting an !bang, and either I got it wrong, or something happened along the way. I suspect a problem with me. I found the process fairly confusing, and I had several tabs open looking for answers, and likely got it mixed up.

The site is snuson.com, which is a snus forum, and when the !snuson syntax is used, you get taken to the shop page, and get challenged for login credentials which is wrong. I'm thinking using the DDG site search format is the way to go? If so, it would look something like this...

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=site%3Asnuson.com{{{s}}}

Would it be possible to get this fixed, or is it something I can do myself somewhere? In general, a short tutorial(or link to one) on the !bang submission page might be useful for dummies like me. I noticed some other !bangs didn't work either when I was trying to figure out what needed to be done, so at least I have company in the hall of shame  :^D

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

anonymous
You can submit updates/fixes on the same page.
that siesearch should be fine, if you add a plus sign between com and '{'
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 6 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
"You can submit updates/fixes on the same page."

Is it just doing everything over again, and someone changes it? On a side note, aside from a short tutorial, a test mode would be good to have also. That way behavior can be checked before submittal. It would probably save some work, and improve the submissions.
zac
No need to do it again, I've made a request to have this one updated. When you resubmit via the same form ( https://duckduckgo.com/newbang.html ), you can specify, in the comments section, that this is an update. Usually, we figure it out from the existing !bangs but it saves some time if you specify : ) 
In this case, I'm not sure of the exact cause for the direction to the store but it does look like their site-search requires a captcha. 
For future requests, the, "Bang URL" is the URL that the site uses when you do a search. Although you can use site:search, it doesn't perform the same way (one redirects to the site and does the search there, whereas, site:search performs the search externally and displays results on DDG). The easiest way to get the URL for the Bang URL is to do a search on the desired portion of the website, say for, "testing." The resulting URL is the one you'd want to include. Just remove, "testing" and replace it with {{{s}}}. 

Duly noted about the tutorial page, though! 
posted by zac Staff6 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
Great! Thanks a lot for your help, and thanks for the great search  :^)
zac
The fix is now live : )
posted by zac Staff6 years and 8 months ago Link