Better "did you mean"

[Old Forum dhruvbird] anonymous
Created: 8 years and 4 months ago
At times, the "did you mean" feature that helps auto-correct search queries doesn't work very well. Maybe it could be improved.
Also, if it already doesn't then it could also be extended to give context sensitive suggestions. For example if I search for "cricket sat" then it could ask me if I meant "cricket bat".

How is it currently implemented?

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

anonymous
BTW, when I type "zsh" I don't mean "ssh", I mean zsh, the awesome bash replacement.

There are some other terms like zsh, which on first pass would seem to be an error, but really aren't. I can't remember any more off the top of my head, but the dictionary could hopefully be improved as well.
Replacing Emoji...
posted by [Old Forum evaryont] • 8 years and 4 months ago Link
yegg
I just pushed a lot of code live to improve Spelling in both directions. A few days ago I made some personal DDG extensions that would make it appear in more situations. Clearly there were some false positives.

The cricket sat/bat was one of those, and I just fixed that. The zsh example was from Yahoo actually, but I just layered some more stuff on top of that, and so it no longer shows either.

I'd appreciate bringing more examples here when you see them so I can continue to improve it.
posted by yegg Staff8 years and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
Searching for "how does solr work" on ddg suggests that you search for "how does solar work". However, in an even more surprising turn of events, the same query on google makes it return results for "how does solar work"!!!! This can easily confuse anyone...

I doubt there's anything anyone can do about this...
Maybe document it somewhere and let some researchers pick it up.

I think this is where ddg can come in, since it is a perfect platform for results in Information Retrieval to be tested and implemented. Its got real users with real problems and if anyone can solve them, nothing like it...

You could probably think of Open Sourcing this (did you mean) component with a brief documentation of its interface so that anyone who can program a similar component can contribute back.

posted by [Old Forum dhruvbird] • 8 years and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
another example: I type IMDB, I get "did you mean" NWCCIMDB.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 11 months ago Link
yegg
Thx for this example as well. I just re-orgd a lot of the Spelling code, which fixed this example. Keep 'em coming!

Google, Yahoo & Bing all now often show you results for what you didn't search for, automatically. I specifically decided not to do this, but if you don't, you really need to have good 'did you mean' stuff.

I've gotten several complaints comparing with Google on queries where they obviously misspelled, but Google did show the correct spelling automatically. Clearly, it's hit or miss but I prefer the did you mean and showing the misspelled results.

I'll think about open sourcing this piece.
posted by yegg Staff8 years and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
I agree, showing misspelled results should be the way to go.

The words people search on could be of hundreds of languages other than En. Showing results from En corrected would not make sense when the word was actually from other language and not misspelled as per that language.

Here's one example: http://duckduckgo.com/?q=bhupat+vadodariya

Its a name of a very famous author of literature of Gujarati language. His name is spelled correctly, but the did you mean is suggesting something wrong. However, the good thing is DDG has shown results for the original query, and that's what I was searching for.
posted by [Old Forum jwalantsoneji] • 7 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
Wow, we got spamming guy here.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 7 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
Yeah, some automatic spam bot went crazy and spammed every topic on the forum.

I'm deleting the spam posts as we speak, but it's going to take a while. I'll ask Yegg if there is anyway to automatically block the spammer from posting in the future.

posted by [Old Forum agreenearth] • 7 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
The crude way would be to add CAPTCHA.

Thanks,
Jwalant Natvarlal Soneji
posted by [Old Forum jwalantsoneji] • 7 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
While that would work, some find CAPTCHAs to be irritating. Hopefully we won't have to implement that.

posted by [Old Forum agreenearth] • 7 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
If you only do a captcha for guest posts, it would be awesome.. then spam bots couldn't post, and it would encourage people to create accounts :-)
anonymous
A suggest from a Guest! :)
He would have been a Guest to create login if the captcha had been put.
anonymous
After "Did you mean?" I'd like a "No, I know what I'm looking for" option.

The worse thing about "Did you mean" is there being no "NO" button!
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 6 years and 1 month ago Link
crazedpsyc
How so? It doesn't alter your results until you click it, it still uses the 'misspelled' term.
posted by crazedpsyc 6 years and 1 month ago Link