Announcement: We've REVERTED our update to the !bang function

zac Staff zac
Created: 5 years and 10 months ago
Thanks to those who wrote in/tweeted/posted your opinions about our change to the !bang function. Previously, we had updated the !bangs so that placing the exclamation point at the end wouldn't work. We made this change as a result of increasing complaints from users searching for a term with an exclamation point, which corresponded to a !bang tag. 
As our !bang list is ever growing, these occurrences happen more often. What we learned from your feedback, though, is that many of you REALLY like having the ! at the end :) We were happy to revert and we've decided to put more effort into identifying and disabling those fringe cases where the sudden redirects occur. For example, yahoo! will not trigger the !bang function but !yahoo will. 

Any and all feedback is welcome! 

-Zac

DuckDuckGo Community Manager

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

anonymous
Thank you. I was struggling with remembering to use "!bang" a few days ago, when "bang!" were removed. I always used "bang!". It feels more natural to me, even though I know the documentation says "!bang".

I think I also like "bang!" better, because "!bang" makes me to pause my typing for a moment to do shift+1 (!) and then continue typing. I was already used to type the ! at the end and then enter :)
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 10 months ago Link
dashesy
I think it is only a matter of time, before the official way will be the only way, so maybe you should recommend the correct way and one time mark the rest as obsolete and ready for removal.  After obsolete you can show a warning educating the correct form like (did you mean !g instead of g!)
posted by dashesy 5 years and 10 months ago Link
zac
We don't have any short term plans of updating this and we can't really see a reason to. The growing list of !bangs don't grow proportionally in cases where someone is unintentionally led to a site. The amount of false-positives should stay pretty low so the exceptions list should stay pretty lean too. 

TL:Dr: No plans of ever updating this again. 

-Zac 

DuckDuckGo Community Manager
posted by zac Staff5 years and 10 months ago Link
zac
1 hate 180 degree turns and apologize for any frustration but, 2 years later, I have to go back on my Tl;Dr;

This was updated recently to remove the ability to do the !bang at the end. I did a bad job of predicting the growth of both the !bangs list and the number of queries containing an intentional exclamation. As far as we can tell, it was over 99% of cases where the !bang is at the beginning but we truly care for even the 1 last person using a feature/syntax. Sorry for that folks! We aim to minimize groupthink.
posted by zac Staff3 years and 9 months ago Link