DuckDuckGo in Opera!

yegg Staff yegg
Created: 6 years and 2 months ago
DuckDuckGo is now in the default search engine list in Opera! Right now it is in the US, UK and Int'l English versions. More details at: http://my.opera.com/ruario/blog/2011/10/19/the-hidden-feature-of-11-52-duckduckgo-is-added-to-opera

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

anonymous
Great to hear. Seems DuckDuckGo is having a very good month. Maybe add this to the important events on the DuckDuckGo traffic graph?

posted by [Old Forum agreenearth] • 6 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
I'm speechless...
I'm so proud to be a moderator!

--
Moderator of duck.co, pianist, creator of Dumb Search
posted by [Old Forum sean-anderson] • 6 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
How much did this cost?
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 6 years and 2 months ago Link
yegg
Sorry, I cannot comment on the terms.
posted by yegg Staff6 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
Awesome :D! I hope we'll see it in Firefox some time soon!
Safari and IE may be harder to get in though :/.
posted by [Old Forum retzudo] • 6 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
Great news. I'm using ddg as my default search engine in firefox.
anonymous
Woaw! Oo It's really great!
posted by [Old Forum valentin] • 6 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
me too!
posted by [Old Forum charles.l] • 6 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
Way to go. People may soon realize that DDG is superior to google in it's ability to redirect to other search enginges. You won't need that engine selection since DDG will already do it for you when needed. :P
anonymous
Awesome!!! Way to go!

posted by [Old Forum babarv] • 6 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
Great !

I think the Opera users are the kind of tech users that will love DDG.
posted by [Old Forum eet-fuk] • 6 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
Hey, what's the point of DuckDuckGo when you have the NOTORIOUS FACEBOOK TRACKING C*** here on
this page and the forums ?
see http://nikcub.appspot.com/facebook-re-enables-controversial-tracking-cookie and
http://www.identityblog.com/?p=1201
http://europe-v-facebook.org/EN/en.html

defeats the intent and reputation of DuckDuckGo.

yegg
Zoho runs these forums. I'll investigate and see what can be done. However, this is not the search engine, i.e. as far as I know what ever happens here will not leak your search results in any way.
yegg
Update: they are gone.
anonymous

Hey, does anyone think it would be worth it to get DDG into the Nintendo version of Opera? I'm pretty sure the DSi (not sure about the 3DS) uses Opera. All these kids would be using DDG...

posted by [Old Forum bioechoes] • 6 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
The Wii also uses Opera.

[voop556]
posted by [Old Forum voop556] • 6 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
This is kind of up to Nintendo.
posted by [Old Forum rafaelluik] • 6 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
This is so awesome!!!!

[voop556]
posted by [Old Forum voop556] • 6 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
Man! How in the world did this page get 10,000 visits?
By the way, I just posted about this important announcement on Everything DDG.

--
Moderator of duck.co, pianist, creator of Dumb Search
posted by [Old Forum sean-anderson] • 6 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
Someone (not yegg) posted a link on Hacker News : http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=3133765
posted by [Old Forum eet-fuk] • 6 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
Awesome! Love to hear that the DuckDuckGo is making progress.
crazedpsyc
I think it would be a good idea to add opera to the tools page now 
posted by crazedpsyc 6 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
Will DDG search also be added to the mobile and mini versions of Opera?
x.15a2
An updated version of Opera Mini (6.5) was released today for all supported mobile platforms. I installed it on my iOS device, did not include DDG in the search engines. Deal may have gone through too late for this release.

Death is conquered though you slumber...seven is the perfect number
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader6 years and 2 months ago Link
yegg
The tools page is going away in favor of http://help.duckduckgo.com/customer/portal/articles/216425

DDG will not be added to the mobile/mini versions yet.
anonymous
LOL! Fantastic news! And I was wondering, where did that search engine thing come from?

This was a really weird case... so I installed Bodhi Linux to try it out and could only put up with it for about 4 days (Enlightenment is soooo experimental) before I switched back to good ol' Windows XP (if only my PC could run KDE without massive lagging...) and that's where I discovered DuckDuckGo as it was the default in the Midori browser (which I had as backup in case Opera failed for whatever reason).

When I got back to XP, I presumed the search engine thingy was carried across as part of Opera Link (an AWESOME tool ) but I also upgraded my Opera version on pretty much the same day... so I don't know, but glad it's in for everyone to experience! 
x.15a2
I'd like to at DDG to my Opera Mini browser, but for some reason the method that Opera employs doesn't work. Here's how it is supposed to work:

To add new search engines to Opera Mini, you actually need to go the page that has the search engine you want to use. For example, say you want to add Microsoft's Bing to your OM search engines.

1) Go to: m.bing.com

2) Touch and hold the touch on the search box on the page until the context menu appears. Touch "Add Search Engine", give your engine a name (or press enter on your keyboard if you're fine with the default name given), and hit enter on your keyboard. Your search engine is now added to Opera Mini 6.5.

Bing is only an example, so you can use it to try these steps out and when you're done testing, you can remove Bing and add your preferred search engines to Opera Mini 6.5.
So, that worked with Bing, but when I try it with DDG, "Add Search Engine" doesn't appear. Not sure if this is a DDG thing or an Opera thing. Just curious.

anonymous
Keep up the good work dude.

Been using DuckDuckGo for a while now and I'm loving it more and more.
posted by [Old Forum phendrome] • 6 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
Not sure if that is any issue - but I've noticed that when you change to ddf in opera it is pointing to ddg through redir.opera.com rather than directly... do they follow same privacy policy as ddg?
yegg
They do follow the same policy for these queries. They've also removed the redirect in the latest iteration, so it is becoming moot as well.
anonymous
Cool, thanks for that! I use ddg last couple of weeks and like it more and more! good work!
posted by [Old Forum miffff] • 6 years and 2 months ago Link
x.15a2
Any thoughts as to why DDG can't be added to Opera Mini searches? (See above post).

Thanks!

yegg
Yes, Opera Mini wasn't rendering the main site properly, so I had it automatically redirect to the Non-JS (HTML) version.
anonymous
That makes sense, thanks for that info.

Is there a way in Opera Mini that a user can force the JS version of the page, just long enough to add DDG to our search?
x.15a2
Dang, I hate when I leave a post here as GUEST!

anonymous
I added duck duck go to opera mini on my android phone by doing the following:

1. Click on the drop down menu for search engines.
2. Click manage search engines.
3. Choose an engine you don't use (I chose ebay)
4. In title type duck duck go.
5. in address type "https://duckduckgo.com/%s

It works fine for me. The only issue is that the icon is still the ebay icon.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 6 years and 1 month ago Link
x.15a2
Is there a way in Opera Mini that a user can force the JS version of the page, just long enough to add DDG to our search?
anonymous
"opc411" opera is on the wii but only google and yahoo! are default??

anonymous
Hi buddy...

Opera isn't on the Wii. The web browser on Wii is called "Internet Channel", it was developed by Nintendo and Opera Software (which licensed their browser's engines to them). To simplify, the updates, everything is at Nintendo's hands. If you're able to look at what URL the search function leads you on the Wii you'll notice it's a Nintendo domain redirecting what you typed to the search... This means Nintendo have the deal. Unfortunately there's no way of adding other search engines... I also suffer from this on the DSi Browser. :P  

And even if it was controlled by Opera, the actual contract DuckDuckGo signed with Opera is for the desktop English versions of the browser only.
posted by [Old Forum rafaelluik] • 6 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
...and for those who want to change the search engine in their (favourite ?) epiphany-browser : Good to know

Epiphany - For v3 and newer, there are at least two ways to change the default search engine. 1. using dconf-editor edit: org > gnome > Epiphany > keyword-search-url 2. from command line use this one-liner: GSETTINGS_BACKEND=dconf gsettings set org.gnome.Epiphany keyword-search-url https://duckduckgo.com/?q=%s. 

For older versions, go to > Menu > System Tools > Configuration Editor (or "gconf-editor" in the console). Drill down to key /apps/epiphany/general/url_search and overwrite the key with your ddg version of choice, e.g.https://duckduckgo.com/?q=%s for the SSL version (making sure to put the %s part at the end after the ' = ' symbol).
pabarge
I just installed Opera (in the USA). Default search engine is Google. I added DuckDuckGo as a search engine. Opera does not let me toggle DuckDuckGo as the default search engine (it allows the others). WTH?

Yes, I have DuckDuckGo on the Speed Dial. But I want to use the single edit field and have my default search engine be DuckDuckGo.

What's up with that?
posted by pabarge 3 years and 9 months ago Link
anonymous
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
so installling this extension https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/d... revert default Opera search to another engine, just select DDG first in the extension settings...
anonymous
Anyway it doesn't take you to DDG site so you it lacks DDG settings...
mobilierterrasse
Thast's amazing, congratulations !
posted by mobilierterrasse 3 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
https://addons.opera.com/it/extensions/d...

This one opens a serch bar to type in DDG search by Ctrl+Shift+S or clicking on the extension icon in top right corner of Opera...

Also found this one below for saving DDG settings even dunno if it serves me anyway...

https://addons.opera.com/it/extensions/d...