New visual design is live!

yegg Admin yegg
Created: 2 years, 3 months, and 9 days ago
The new visual design is live on the main site! Thank you all for the feedback and suggestions leading up to it. 

For reference, the previous discussion was here: IV IIIII and I.

You must be logged in to comment. Please, Log in or Register.
anonymous
I was in the middle of a search when the change happened I thought I clicked something wrong, hehe.....
Now that I'm here, I have one small suggestion, could you remove the link which is present on the logo of the homepage?
Sometimes when I click the text field I miss it and hit the logo and it's kinda annoying that it searches the words duckduckgo, if it's not possible for it to be removed, could you at least point it to something else, the site itself?
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 2 years, 3 months, and 9 days ago Link
yegg
Yeah, we changed that a bit -- the pixels right above the logo no longer fire it. What if it went to the about page?
posted by yegg Admin2 years, 3 months, and 9 days ago Link
anonymous
Ah, I didn't notice that the area between the text bar and the image where the link is has been increased, it should be fine now, but definitely change it to the About page, it's far better than having it pointed on a search about the site itself, that looks a bit weird, at least to me....;)
crazedpsyc
What an awesome sight to wake up to! 

I just noticed that the 'More' menu doesn't work on non-search pages. Not a big deal, but it was unexpected.
posted by crazedpsyc Admin2 years, 3 months, and 9 days ago Link
yegg
Just fixed -- thanks!
anonymous
Also I like the new design, it's modern and slick, the duck is getting cooler and cooler ;)....
anonymous
Very cool, it popped up right in the middle of a page refresh. I like.
anonymous
There is maybe a very little small issue:
Here, search menu is green

But here:
it is blue...

Forgot something ?
yegg
No, that was intentional.   On the homepage it goes with the logo tie more, but on the inner page all the green makes it look too much like Christmas. And then in testing, people generally actually liked how it changed (a bit fresher). However, this could be a target for another setting.
anonymous
Will you be adding color settings to the new elements? Or am I just missing them?

My white links on the default background color of the new elements looks rather awful.

Anyway, thanks for all the great work!
yegg
Yes, we'd like to add whatever color settings are needed to make good themes. I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to though so any specifics would be greatly appreciated.
anonymous
Great. Yah, sorry, that was pretty ambiguous. A screenshot may be more helpful: http://ompldr.org/vYzhrag

I'd love to change the background of the gray/white and yellow fields in that image. If it would be helpful I can also write out all of my settings.
yegg
No, gotcha!
anonymous
Hi everyone!

The new style is great!

A couple of comments though:
- I would really prefer if the search bar was centered (and maybe the More button on far right). Having it aligned with the results looks wierd in my opinion
- I'm using a dark background and I get a slim white/grey bar under the header, no matter which color I use for the header:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=duckduckgo&kh=1&kj=b2&kl=fr-fr&kp=-1&kq=1&kr=b&kv=1&kw=w&kx=b&ky=b&k2=-1&k4=-1&k7=#121212&k8=#515050&kab=#1A4DA4

posted by [Old Forum babarv] • 2 years, 3 months, and 9 days ago Link
yegg
Noted. kr=c is supposed to center it, but it appears broken -- will fix.

The grey is a shadow, but will look into hiding that on custom header colors as well.
anonymous
When you click on "Sponsored link" you get a search to "Undefined"
yegg
Hmm, that's weird and having trouble reproducing. What browser/os/search?
anonymous
Windows XP, latest firefox (9.0.1) and any search I can think of

It hapens when I click on the text "Sponsored link" When I click on the block itself it works as expected.
Same with IE8, in chrome nothing happens...
yegg
Fixed this. Thanks.
anonymous
I have the same trouble.

User-Agent :
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux i686; rv:12.0a1) Gecko/20120112 Firefox/12.0a1

Edit : every sponsored link links to this
posted by [Old Forum valentin] • 2 years, 3 months, and 9 days ago Link
anonymous
It doesn't happen to me!

--
Dumb Search hybrid search engine
posted by [Old Forum sean-anderson] • 2 years, 3 months, and 9 days ago Link
anonymous
I think the dotted separation is really annoying. See: 

It feels like it's focused (you know, usually there is a dotted border around thing thing). I keep wanting to click somewhere and hope it disappears. I think before it used to be a bevel sort of separation, any way to bring that back? Thanks.
yegg
Duly noted.
anonymous
I LOVE the new design change!
I LOVE the look and feel, and I like the fact that the "More" button now opens on click, with a nice hover effect. 

I'll post about it on ddg.plippi.com...

--
Dumb Search social hybrid engine
posted by [Old Forum sean-anderson] • 2 years, 3 months, and 9 days ago Link
anonymous
This issue is new, I didn't see it before today:

Here are my headers:

1. Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:9.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/9.0.1
  2. Connection: keep-alive
  3. Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
  4. Accept-Charset: UTF-8,*
  5. Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
  6. Accept-Language: en
  7. Host: duckduckgo.com
  8. User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:9.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/9.0.1
  9. Content-Length:
  10. Content-Type:
  11. COOKIE: a=Terminus; e=-1; g=g; h=1; j=%232160FF; l=nl-nl; p=-1; s=s; t=Terminus; v=1; w=w; x=%23743CF6; y=%23000000; 1=-1; 7=%23202020; 8=%23CCCCCC; 9=%23FFB300; aa=%23FF4D00; ab=%23000033
  12. DNT: 1
As you can see I chose most of the colors. But I didn't choose the white background for the 'informative text'. I also chose a blue bar colour (not red) and the search input field is gone...
posted by [Old Forum blankstare] • 2 years, 3 months, and 9 days ago Link
anonymous
I've got the same thing. Using firebug, I could trace it to the

<form id="search_form" onsubmit="return nbr()" action="/" name="x" style="width: 553px;">

when you choose a larger value, say 583, the problem dissappears. I don't know whether that messes up other things on other browsers. For me, it looks okay.

I think these kind of browser differences usually appear if when you mix different units (em and px, for example) but I don't see any of that here.
yegg
Do you have a zoom level on?
anonymous
@yegg13: you're right, I had a zoom level that caused it. ctrl+0 solved it. Still, I often use the zoom feature, it'd be great if the layout allowed for that.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 2 years, 3 months, and 8 days ago Link
anonymous
This problem occurs for me, too!!
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 2 years, 3 months, and 3 days ago Link
anonymous
Okay, the colour in the header has been fixed (thanks) but the search bar is still not working properly. I just made this screenshot, if you need additional details just let me know. I hope this can be fixed and I'm pretty sure it's not a local error.

posted by [Old Forum blankstare] • 2 years, 2 months, and 28 days ago Link
anonymous
CSS property "-webkit-text-size-adjust:none" kills text resizing on desktop WebKit browsers. And even with DDG Look & Feel set to Large, text is still too small. I know this CSS is used to make the site look right on iOS but I also hear that it's possible to make iOS look right without it (I wouldn't know specifically how). Text resizing is a must-have, especially with a browser like OmniWeb that will remember and apply site preferences.

Thanks for providing DDG. It's my regular search engine and an important component of living Google-free.
yegg
Ahh, so that's it! Thanks for tracking this down. Yes, I added this to make iOS look right, but will revisit and drop it in the next iteration (this weekend sometime).
anonymous
Attention please: this is not fixed yet?
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 2 years, 2 months, and 28 days ago Link
yegg
I did fix that a while ago -- sorry for not reporting back here.
posted by yegg Admin2 years, 2 months, and 28 days ago Link
anonymous
Original CSS commentator here. I noticed that you made the change when you said you would. Thanks for taking care of it quickly.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 2 years, 2 months, and 25 days ago Link
anonymous
Sweet! I love it!

[Firefox on Ubuntu]
posted by [Old Forum charles.l] • 2 years, 3 months, and 9 days ago Link
anonymous
Great! I really like it.
posted by [Old Forum em-a-il] • 2 years, 3 months, and 9 days ago Link
anonymous
Awesome, it's sweet.

[voop556]
posted by [Old Forum voop556] • 2 years, 3 months, and 9 days ago Link
anonymous
I miss the way the "more" menu would show on mouse over.
posted by [Old Forum rafaelluik] • 2 years, 3 months, and 9 days ago Link
anonymous
I really like your search engine.  But where did the Settings link go that used to be under the search box?
yegg
The more on hover seemed odd given the search by the drop down is a button. I guess it felt more normal when there were three dropdowns, but now that there is one and it is close by it seems odd.

@Guest, the settings link is in the more link on results pages. Since they were pretty much all results oriented I thought I could de-clutter a bit and drop it from the homepage.
anonymous
Oh, I understand...
It was just faster to check the location selected. But nothing so important!

Maybe I'm just feeling it because you need to click "more" again to close the menu, clicking on other part of the page isn't closing it.
And, isn't the menu getting a new style too?
posted by [Old Forum rafaelluik] • 2 years, 3 months, and 9 days ago Link
anonymous
Yes, I think so too; I like mouse-over, instead of clicking (like Cool Previews does).
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 2 years, 2 months, and 28 days ago Link
anonymous
Hi All!

Love the new design, nice and clean! ^_^ 

A few issues I've had so far:
  • I've found that the "Other (Custom)" colour option for header does not appear to work (I've tested it in IE9, FF & Opera so far), I don't know if you already know about it or what
  • In IE 9 on https://duckduckgo.com/settings.html I get mixed content warnings

posted by [Old Forum mintsoft] • 2 years, 3 months, and 9 days ago Link
anonymous
I like the new design, but if I was a new "user" I couldn't read the "about" page, because there are no links in the homepage.
I couldn't easily reach this forum, too.

I'd add an "About" tab at bottom-right, near "Set-Homepage".
posted by [Old Forum makronized] • 2 years, 3 months, and 9 days ago Link
yegg
I just linked the main logo to the about page. Do you think that is enough? Was really trying to reduce clutter on the homepage as much as possible.
posted by yegg Admin2 years, 3 months, and 7 days ago Link
anonymous
Where are the Goodies and Preferences links now? i seem to be missing them

posted by [Old Forum jherazob] • 2 years, 3 months, and 9 days ago Link
anonymous
They're not on the main page, but once you've done a search they're in the "more" menu
posted by [Old Forum mintsoft] • 2 years, 3 months, and 9 days ago Link
anonymous
I'd remove the padding-top. Now it's 9px in one container div + 10px in the contained div.
posted by [Old Forum makronized] • 2 years, 3 months, and 8 days ago Link
anonymous
glad to see that it's up. few things that i'd like to mention:

custom header color doesn't seem to be working for me - it just shows up as the default red. is it working for anybody else?

i noticed that a footer bar ('we don't bubble or track you! see our privacy policy') appears on not just the home page, but on settings, goodies, about, privacy, and feedback. perhaps you could include an option in settings to toggle the bar on/off/only homepage.

i think that the 'more' dropdown box should disappear when something else on the page is clicked, just like how the !bangs dropdown behaves.
posted by <hidden> • 2 years, 3 months, and 8 days ago Link
anonymous
I can't get the custom header-colour to work either
posted by [Old Forum mintsoft] • 2 years, 3 months, and 8 days ago Link
yegg
Custom header color should now work and the more button should disappear as well.

You think the footer is just too much on those pages?
anonymous
Gabriel, the "more" menu is appearing behind the search results in IE 9.
And still not closing when clicking somewhere else if you're in pages like about, goodies and privacy... ;)
posted by [Old Forum rafaelluik] • 2 years, 3 months, and 5 days ago Link
anonymous
I recommend you put a little notice at refresh.duckduckgo.com saying that the new design is live for those who prefered the new design and still go there directly.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 2 years, 3 months, and 8 days ago Link
yegg
I redirected it to the main servers.
dashesy
I really like the new design and nice integration with arrow keys (and h key), this is what I would call a good change, not a change for the sake of change, thanks
posted by dashesy 2 years, 3 months, and 8 days ago Link
anonymous
This is great now that more things are working. I'd like to be able to change the color on the 0-click box title bar.
Also, now that custom colors are on the extra pages, they don't get everything. For example, this looks good:

But this is bad:

posted by [Old Forum guest] • 2 years, 3 months, and 7 days ago Link
anonymous
About the color picker :

I think it doesn't fit the theme enough....

So I made an UserStyle :

It's not a big change but I hope you will like it :)
posted by [Old Forum valentin] • 2 years, 3 months, and 5 days ago Link
dashesy
I use Firefox. This happens on Windows:
If I use mouse I usually use the middle-click to open results in new page.
In the new design if I middle-click exactly on the URL section of the search result it is opened in new tab as expected, but if I middle click somewhere in the rectangular box (not on the URL section but on the text snippet) a "site:website" is added to the end of my search term. In other words, DDG searches the website under cursor for the original search term, instead of new tab (Firefox default).
Is this an intended behaviour?
If yes, that would be great to change it something else because it steals the key-binding default of Firefox.
posted by dashesy 2 years, 3 months, and 4 days ago Link
dashesy
One more suggestion:
When I search for a common term the zero-click area could be quite huge. Is there anyway that zero-click can span to 3 columns so that search results have more room?
posted by dashesy 2 years, 3 months, and 3 days ago Link
crazedpsyc
In the new 'More' menu that went up (today?), 'DontBubble' is a few pixels too wide when you hover over it. It stretches the menu out a little, which is somewhat annoying. Other than that, I like it. The separation is not exactly what I expected to see, but it looks good!
posted by crazedpsyc Admin2 years, 2 months, and 28 days ago Link
yegg
Ahh, not on my computers :(. I had made the right padding on community long enough where I hoped that wouldn't happen. How many more pixels does it need to be? You can check via Firebug.
posted by yegg Admin2 years, 2 months, and 27 days ago Link
yegg
Also, what separation did you expect? 
posted by yegg Admin2 years, 2 months, and 27 days ago Link
anonymous
Might be my screen size then - 1366x768.
For me, the minimum width it can be without bringing up that problem is 97px.
As for separation, I was expecting something like that, but with a horizontal layout - the three sections being columns. However I think a single column is probably better for use on smaller (or less wide) screens.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 2 years, 2 months, and 27 days ago Link
crazedpsyc
That was me.
posted by crazedpsyc Admin2 years, 2 months, and 27 days ago Link
anonymous
I really like this newest version!
posted by [Old Forum oldhack] • 2 years, 2 months, and 28 days ago Link
dashesy
Sorry to ask this again, is the middle-click site search an expected feature in the new design? If it is would be great to have an option/param to turn it off, because in Firefox I use middle click to open in new tab.

Thanks

posted by dashesy 2 years, 2 months, and 27 days ago Link
anonymous
If I see this two changes to DuckDuckGo, I will completely switch from Google and never look back.
1. Real time pop-up suggestions, while writing in the search bar, like Google:

2. Date: when the result was originally posted on the web. This is very important because when I search fisrt thing I look is how up-to-date is this post, especially when it comes to new versions of products.

When I will see this two changes/upgrades, I will completely switch to DDG, of course privacy is number one reason. As long as they keep their privacy as good as its now. (Most companies at the beginning are very user/consumer-dedicated, but once they become giant, they start to dictate to their users - knowing that they are dominant).  I hope DDG will keep it as it is until end.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 2 years, 1 month, and 6 days ago Link