Linux Mint signs a partnership with DuckDuckGo

yegg Staff yegg
Created: 6 years and 9 months ago
Really excited about this: Linux Mint signs a partnership with DuckDuckGo -- 

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

anonymous
Congratulations! Noteworthy for the traffic chart?

posted by [Old Forum agreenearth] • 6 years and 9 months ago Link
yegg
Yes, will add.
posted by yegg Staff6 years and 9 months ago Link
anonymous
Horray!
Just posted about it on ddg.plippi.com.

--
Dumb Search social search engine
posted by [Old Forum sean-anderson] • 6 years and 9 months ago Link
anonymous
Way to go yegg!
posted by [Old Forum oldhack] • 6 years and 9 months ago Link
anonymous
Wow! This is great! Congratulation!
posted by [Old Forum valentin] • 6 years and 9 months ago Link
anonymous
"opc411" HORAYY MAYBE WE SHOULD MAKE A LOGO FOR TOMMOROW
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 6 years and 9 months ago Link
dashesy
Congratulations, I read the news in LWN and am very optimistic about it's future and the opensource initiative.
Changed my homepage finally :)
posted by dashesy 6 years and 9 months ago Link
anonymous

"DuckDuckGo signed up as search partner
Linux Mint 12 introduces a new default search engine called DuckDuckGo, which is touted for not tracking or recording user information. For those who prefer Google or another search engine, however, the Mint project says it now offers an easier way to install them.
In addition, the project has launched a new business model in which search engine companies share with Linux Mint the revenue generated for them by the distribution. In a Nov 26 blog announcement, Linux Mint Founder Clement Lefebvre announced the first such partnership with DuckDuckGo. The Mint project says DuckDuckGo is "built on and contributes to Open Source," although "much of DuckDuckGo is closed."
As detailed in this Muktware review of DuckDuckGo, the search engine is not open source at the core, and in fact relies on Microsoft Bing for its back end. DuckDuckGo's search results regarding open source projects are typically Bing-like, writes reviewer Neil Richards. In other words they are tinged with Microsoft bias.
A search for "open source office suite," for example, buries the leading LibreOffice suite at the very bottom. Similarly a search for "open source web browser" shunts Mozilla and Chrome to the second page, reports Richards. Hilariously, neither Linux or GNU were found on the first page results for a search for "open source operating systems."
Beyond such Ballmer red flag terms, Bing works pretty well, and there are indeed some advantages to Bing's far less filtered searches. However, Richards also points out that many users prefer Google's personalized search results, and notes that one can always delete history and cookies to maintain privacy."

anonymous
Just searched for "open source operating systems".

In the first page I found:
"Linux vs Windows Comparision(sic): Why Windows Is Better Than Linux"
"The Various Disadvantages of The Open Source Operating Systems"

Urgh. I'm somewhat disappointed with DDG now...
anonymous
C'mon Guest, signing a partnership is not equal to bragging. In many cases, these results prevent stupid users to try Linux, and yeah, stupid users shouldn't try Linux. So I like DDG.
posted by [Old Forum kmc.best] • 6 years and 9 months ago Link
anonymous
As I warned previously... now another site is attacking ddg. Some might say any press is good press and while I agree it is to an extent. It's always best to reply to these sites and to give your side of the argument.

Are DuckDuckGo's Bing Ties a Problem for Linux Mint?
anonymous
I made this topic for talking about this issue.
posted by [Old Forum sean-anderson] • 6 years and 9 months ago Link
anonymous
That is wonderful.