Cool websites - Services you can trust which protect your privacy

[Old Forum sean-anderson] anonymous
Created: 6 years and 4 months ago
Webmail
  • Neomailbox -                         Neomailbox is a paid email hosting service that "has been providing secure and reliable email and private surfing services for 8 years."
  • Riseup  -                              Riseup is a webmail provider that offers "secure and private email accounts".
  • Lavabit - A simple freemium webmail provider with a clean, fast interface. Has minimal tracking (will only release user data if legally compelled to do so, keeps little user data to begin with and deletes the majority of it within a week). Also offers asymettric encryption for paid users. - Now shut down.
  • Posteo  -  Posteo is an e-mail provider, that promises anonymity for the cost of 1 Euro/month. No ads anywhere, Servers powered by green energy. You could even send the money per snail mail, so nobody would ever possibly know who you are. The only downside: It's completely in german. 
  • Opera Mail - A simplistic e-mail provider run by Opera which protects your privacy.
Search
  • DuckDuckGo  - A general search engine with loads of features which doesn't track your searches. It's main features include !Bangs (a shortcut to visit a site of your choice) and Zero Click info (Instant answers appropriate to your query). 
  • ScrubTheWeb  - A general search engine which doesn't track your searches.
  • Ixquick  - A general Image, Web, Video and Phone search engine which doesn't track your searches. It also provides a proxy mode to visit a website without sharing your IP.
Addons

Browser
  • Chromuim - An open-source project which protects your privacy.
  • IceCat - A version of Firefox which protects your privacy. 
  • Maxthon - An IE-based browser which protects your privacy.

Privacy/Anonymizer Gateways
  • TOR - A free software implementation of second-generation onion routing, a system enabling its users to communicate anonymously on the Internet.

Activism

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

anonymous
    Nice list. Here are some websites I suggest you should add:
    • Lavabit - A simple freemium webmail provider with a clean, fast interface. Has minimal tracking (will only release user data if legally compelled to do so, keeps little user data to begin with and deletes the majority of it within a week). Also offers asymettric encryption for paid users. (Webmail)
    • Scroogle - Privacy-friendly Google scraper that removes ads from Google search results and cloaks your IP address. Does not place cookies or keep search records, deletes access data within 48 hours. (Search)
    posted by [Old Forum agreenearth] • 6 years and 4 months ago Link
    anonymous
    Thanks for the suggestions!
    I've just edited the original post.

--
    posted by [Old Forum sean-anderson] • 6 years and 4 months ago Link
    anonymous
    Should I remove Iron from the list of browsers?
    I've just read http://chromium.hybridsource.org/the-iron-scam and the Iron Browser looks kinda like a scam...

--
    anonymous
    I'm not sure. While it does seem to be quite similar to the Chromium browser, there's nothing inherently wrong with Iron Browser's functionality.

posted by [Old Forum agreenearth] • 6 years and 4 months ago Link
    anonymous
    I'd say leave it up, but add Chromium and Firefox. It is listed on browserchoice.eu, so we wouldn't be the only ones.
    posted by [Old Forum mithrandir] • 6 years and 4 months ago Link
    anonymous
    Does Firefox protect your privacy?
    Are you sure I should leave the Iron Browser? Looks like a scam... 

--
    anonymous
    I don't know, if Firefox protects out of the box. But Icecat does!
    1. Some sites refer to zero-size images on other hosts to keep track of cookies. When IceCat detects this mechanism it blocks cookies from the site hosting the zero-length image file. (It is possible to re-enable such a site by removing it from the blocked hosts list.)
    2. Other sites rewrite the host name in links redirecting the user to another site, mainly to "spy" on clicks. When this behavior is detected, IceCat shows a message alerting the user.
               (Taken from https://www.gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/ )

Also in Preferences -> Privacy there's a 'Tell web sites I do not want to be tracked.' option in both of them.

Another thingy I found is blocking of ads and tracking with the systems hosts file. ( http://pgl.yoyo.org/as/ ) This solution works for nearly every system, but is less dynamic than an addon and thus sometimes really awkward.

Well... to be at least a bit on topic, a web site:
    posteo.de - An e-mail provider, that promises anonymity for the cost of 1 Euro/month. No ads anywhere, Servers powered by green energy. You could even send the money per snail mail, so nobody would ever possibly know who you are. The only downside: It's completely in german. /description
    And kind of funny but also really awesome. Their clause on sustainability (digest): 100% Recycling paper; mobility 100% via public transport and bycycle and last but not least: all employees are engaged in environmental NGOs.

.nyan~ miezebieze

I didn't sign up yet. Zoho seems to have incompatibilities with one of my 29 icecat addons. ;\
    posted by [Old Forum guest] • 6 years and 4 months ago Link
    anonymous
    Thanks for your suggestions!
    I just added Posteo and Icecat to the list.

Feel free to sign up! If you can't signup with IceCat, use another browser! I'm a moderator of duck.co, so I just like having users like you who love to help.
    anonymous
    I've just started another topic, https://duck.co/topic/suggest-a-website-that-should-be-added-to-the-cool-websites-sites-you-can-trust-which-protect-your-privacy-list, that is for suggesting a website that should be added to this list. I'd hate that this page would be so long that Zoho wouldn't be able to load it, like what happened to other topics.
    godlikeGadgetry
    Might want to edit the fact that Opera Mail will go down March 1st
    posted by godlikeGadgetry 3 years and 11 months ago Link
    anonymous
    Bitmessahe.ch a good email service, also check

https://prism-break.org/en/
    posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 5 months ago Link
    seanlevan
    Thanks for the suggestions!

This list was originally curated using the previous forum platform, so I don't seem to be able to edit it at this moment :)
    posted by seanlevan 3 years and 5 months ago Link
    anonymous
    Use Gnu/Linux, Debian, Fedora
    there are a lot of good operative system in linux
    posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 5 months ago Link
    LauritzT
    There's also ProtonMail (CH) for email and MEGA (NZ) & SpiderOak (US) for cloud storage/backup.
    And as godlikeGadgetry noted above, Opera Mail is dead.
    posted by LauritzT 2 years and 4 months ago Link