[Old Forum sean-anderson]
- Neomailbox - Neomailbox is a paid email hosting service that "has been providing secure and reliable email and private surfing services for 8 years."
- Riseup - Riseup is a webmail provider that offers "secure and private email accounts".
- Lavabit - A simple freemium webmail provider with a clean, fast interface. Has minimal tracking (will only release user data if legally compelled to do so, keeps little user data to begin with and deletes the majority of it within a week). Also offers asymettric encryption for paid users. - Now shut down.
- Posteo - Posteo is an e-mail provider, that promises anonymity for the cost of 1 Euro/month. No ads anywhere, Servers powered by green energy. You could even send the money per snail mail, so nobody would ever possibly know who you are. The only downside: It's completely in german.
- Opera Mail - A simplistic e-mail provider run by Opera which protects your privacy.
- DuckDuckGo - A general search engine with loads of features which doesn't track your searches. It's main features include !Bangs (a shortcut to visit a site of your choice) and Zero Click info (Instant answers appropriate to your query).
- ScrubTheWeb - A general search engine which doesn't track your searches.
- Ixquick - A general Image, Web, Video and Phone search engine which doesn't track your searches. It also provides a proxy mode to visit a website without sharing your IP.
- Chromuim - An open-source project which protects your privacy.
- IceCat - A version of Firefox which protects your privacy.
- Maxthon - An IE-based browser which protects your privacy.
- TOR - A free software implementation of second-generation onion routing, a system enabling its users to communicate anonymously on the Internet.
This forum has been archived
Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.