Help get Duck Duck Go included in Firefox 4!

[Old Forum bryanquigley] anonymous
Created: 7 years and 10 months ago
Like this Idea at http://getsatisfaction.com/mozilla/topics/include_duck_duck_go_as_option_by_default_in_search_box

Duck Duck Go and Mozilla should go very well together.  Both have a commitment to open source and protecting users privacy.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

anonymous
this is a great idea, this should be stickied
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 7 years and 10 months ago Link
anonymous
Yes.I think so too! How to help do this?
anonymous
"Yes.I think so too! How to help do this?" (quoting my own text, posted a moment ago)

Aha, silly me! I see the link from bryanquigley above, so went there. To find facebook. Not going there. Outta there!

I'll try posting to FF direct, if I can find the right link for feedback; I'm using r4beta8, just installed it recently, and concur - FF & DDG should stick together!
anonymous
Facebook is only one of the possible options for logging in to Get Satisfaction. You can also use your account on Google, Twitter, Microsoft Live, your OpenID, or just make a separate Get Satisfaction account altogether.
posted by [Old Forum agreenearth] • 7 years and 10 months ago Link
yegg
I just made it sticky. I'm not sure what we can do besides get people to express interest on it. I've talked to some people at Mozilla before, and they are certainly aware of us.
posted by yegg Staff7 years and 10 months ago Link
anonymous
Liked and responded to the idea.

If Mozilla did include DuckDuckGo in Firefox 4, DDG's userbase would probably double, maybe even triple. (However, I heavily doubt they will include it.)
anonymous
Yes, I too doubt they will include DDG.

~voop556
posted by [Old Forum voop556] • 7 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
There a few issues with this happening. I believe Mozilla uses IdeaScale now for their customer service. In fact until now I had no idea they had ever used Get Satisfaction. Also, I think Mozilla would want to get paid for referrals unless DuckDuckGo was non-profit and popular like Wikipedia. 
posted by [Old Forum richterkuato] • 7 years and 10 months ago Link
anonymous
True, Mozilla is already getting paid by Google to have their search engine as the default in Firefox. (full explanation)
anonymous
http://techcrunch.com/2008/08/28/mozilla-extends-lucrative-deal-with-google-for-3-years/

"Google pays Mozilla a substantial sum – in 2006 the total amounted to around $57 million, or 85% of the company’s total revenue. The deal was originally going to expire in 2006, but was later extended to 2008 and will now run through 2011."

everyone hurry, grab your pocket books.

anonymous
Response from Thomas, an official Mozilla representative (but not a Mozilla employee) over at Get Satisfaction:
DDG will not be the default, as Google pays mozilla a fee every time someone downloads Firefox. This helps Mozilla afford to pay their developers and hire new ones. That's great. And it's not forced on you, like Bing is on some Verizon phones. That's great too. Not to mention the fact that you can add any provider you want, and I know you can add DuckDuckGo from their website.

However, with the incredibly large number of alternative search engines, it is impossible to placate users in this manner. Why should DuckDuckGo be added and not Lycos, for example. Lycos has been around longer.

I personally use DuckDuckGo, not because it's better (it really isn't), but because it produces some interesting results, and when I find spam in the results (I find spam that I don't find in a Google search for the same query), I can report it over Twitter and it'll get taken care of.

Recent example (and I know this isn't a reason for exclusion, but it's interesting): I searched for a certain hospital in Macon GA. The DDG result was for a deep subpage that didn't work, not their homepage which did. I reported this issue and it was resolved. However, most users don't go to search engines to find and report bugs, they go there to find things (primarily the login page for facebook , if you must know).

Disclaimer: I don't work for Mozilla.
yegg
It doesn't need to be the default--never thought that was going happen .

It could just be in the default list. In terms of monetization, if that were required, I'd be happy to split whatever revenue they generate with them.

As for the search result comment, it's just really an anecdotal thing. I remember this particular example. It was a case where the Wikiepdia link was entered incorrectly (or became out of date) and no one yet noticed.
posted by yegg Staff7 years and 10 months ago Link
anonymous
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 7 years and 8 months ago Link
crazedpsyc
Wooot Woooot! We're second down in the "Hot" tab! This might actually work!
Keep up the votes!
posted by crazedpsyc 7 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
Trying to get Duck Duck Go included in Ubuntu to replace Bing actually.  It makes no sense for Ubuntu to be promoting a competitor, anyway.  Vote http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/28078/
posted by [Old Forum bryanquigley] • 7 years and 5 months ago Link
anonymous
Judging by the appearance of the query sent when using Google from Firefox's searchbox, Canonical seems to /possibly/ have some sort of arrangement with Google. Either that, or they are just padding the query which seems unlikely.

Given the way Canonical totally screwed the Banshee guys outta their rightfully earned donations, the former seems to be more likely than not.

All I can say is don't hold your breath. You're better off expending similar effort into getting DDG accepted by other community based distrobutions like Debian, as apposed to the corporate ones whom have entirely different motives.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 7 years and 5 months ago Link
anonymous
i voted on both!
posted by [Old Forum zeitgeistt] • 7 years and 5 months ago Link
anonymous
voted again!
posted by [Old Forum zeitgeistt] • 7 years and 5 months ago Link