IMDB Zero Click Info

[Old Forum eric.leebow] anonymous
Created: 8 years and 2 months ago
It would be great to have the IMDB for Zero Click Info.  What do you think about this idea?

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

yegg
I actually have data from IMDB ready to go, I just need to get it implemented.
posted by yegg Staff8 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
Cool, do you have to subscribe to IMDB?  On IMDB's site, it says they charge a minimum $15,000 licensing fee.  I don't even want to know what the maximum is.  What are your thoughts on this, and if you wouldn't mind sharing how much you're paying a year, or if you were able to negotiate a deal being a startup.

"At this time, IMDb grants permission to use IMDb content to commercial licensing customers for a minimum annual fee of $15,000."
posted by [Old Forum eric.leebow] • 8 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
I guess, if you're building a search engine, you can safely scrap it instead of paying licensing fees :-)
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 8 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
Yes, but I don't know about this, and how "safe" this would be.  DuckDuckGo is a brilliant search engine, nonetheless.
yegg
No, I'm not paying. Just like the other sources, I'll be showing a small amount of info an then linking back to the appropriate page.
posted by yegg Staff8 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
Is it safe to not pay them?  I'm just wondering if they'll come after you later on. It's just scary to think that IMDB has charged some sites this amount, even if they make it back.  I don't know what sites pay the licensing fee.
anonymous
Yes, get your ducks in a row before you try/do this ;)
anonymous
@eric.leebow:  Here are the terms for crawlers: http://imdb.com/robots.txt
anonymous
If you resort to HTML scraping, be ready to adjust your scraping code now and again. We have a bot that does imdb searches and we have to regularly update the imdb module to keep up with the html changes on the site.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 6 years and 10 months ago Link