Better Image Search Options

[Old Forum eric.leebow] anonymous
Created: 8 years and 2 months ago
Better image search options, not just one provider. The bang !images works for Google Images, yet on the side is Bing Images.  There are a few options for image search.  Let's have better options.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

anonymous
Images: !bimages !clipart !deviantart !flickr !gimages !icons !images !istockphoto !gettyimages !photobucket !pictures !shuttershock !stockphotos !texture !wallpaper !yimages

I think that's plenty of bang tags for any average user. More bang tags can't hurt, but unless we get a native image search it won't really matter.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 8 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
Oops, forgot to log in. That was me.
posted by [Old Forum jake-denis] • 8 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
Talking about the button on the side, it only links to Bing.
posted by [Old Forum eric.leebow] • 8 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
Oh, the side links... Adding kr=-1 to the URL parameters fixes that for me.
You can't really add a lot of links to that list or you'll add too much clutter. I guess some sort of drop-down or nested menu that expands when you want more images could work, though.
So the side links would read something like
Images
Maps
Shops
Etc.
and clicking each link would expand a list of !bangable sites to redirect your search.

posted by [Old Forum jake-denis] • 8 years and 2 months ago Link
yegg
Yeah, I was thinking of having the side link be configurable by the user in the setting, e.g. choose your image provider, map provider, etc. But having an expandable drop down might be cool as well.
posted by yegg Staff8 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
i also think we should have more options other then bing,(im not sure if we do or not)
posted by [Old Forum zeitgeistt] • 7 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
Yahoo! offers image search, though I don't particularly like it:
http://images.search.yahoo.com/

DuckDuckGo's extensive list of image search !bangs might also help you find a new image search provider:
!bimages !clipart !clker !commons !danbooru !deviantart (!da) !exif !flickr (!flickrc) !flickriver !gimages !gisafeoff (!gisoff) !icons (!icon) !iconfinder !images (!i !image (!img) !imagenet !istockphoto !gettyimages !ocal (!oca) !photobucket !pictures !shuttershock !stockphotos !sxc !texture !tineye !tinypic !wallbase !wallpaper !yimages

posted by [Old Forum agreenearth] • 7 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
Without completely understanding how the search engine (DDG) is put together, obviously it can search websites very well. Would I be incorrect to assume it's a very daunting task to have your own image search? Or is this a plan in the future? I mainly ask in hopes there will be of course :)
posted by [Old Forum pchammer] • 7 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
im pretty sure there will be an image search in the future, but how far away is the future?
anonymous
Very true. I would assume if it was that easy, Yegg would have done so by now. But once again, hopefully in the future "whenever that is".
posted by [Old Forum pchammer] • 7 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
yea, yegg works hard enough already. why make him work any harder?
anonymous
they need yahoo! image search.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 7 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
and flickr.
anonymous
i thought they already had a flickr! feature? Guess not?
anonymous
Both Yahoo! image search and Flickr search already have !bangs:

Yahoo image search: !yimages
Flickr search: !flickr

anonymous
i didnt know that!
anonymous
I would also like a image search featur that like google provides.it would very helpful.bt i am not happy with the !bang searches.
anonymous
I agree, would like a DDG image and vid search instead of using bangs. But, as already said, don't want to come across as being pushy. 
anonymous
I know what you mean, 10:06 Guest. Alas, I guess we will just have to make do with DDG's image and video-related !bangs for now.