What are the benfits of logging the user agent of people submitting feedback?

ScreapDK Community Leader ScreapDK
Created: 4 years and 6 months ago
I just want to ask the DuckDuckGo team, what the benefits are by logging the user agents of users submitting feedback via the new Feedback-page. : )

Is it really necessary?
I'm referring to the screenshot as displayed in the below screenshot:
[http://i.scrp.dk/ddg/obZphrx.png]

Best regards,
Casper Qvortrup

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

zac
A lot of bug reports can't be followed up on because we allow for anonymous feedback so, if there's an issue and we need the to know about the users environment, this seems like a good balance of getting some anon. info. A sizable amount of feedback comes from people who aren't techies so they're unfamiliar with the prompts or just type anything into them. (browser =\= windows xp)
We, hopefully, make it pretty obvious that it's being sent using that message at the bottom but are up for suggestions :)
posted by zac Staff4 years and 6 months ago Link
david_mascio
Zac is right on. Having user agents on file has let us been able to really simplify down the feedback process. I used to spend a substantial portion of my time just asking users about their environment - now I can spend that time fixing problems instead.
posted by david_mascio Community Leader4 years and 6 months ago Link
ScreapDK
Okay! Thanks for the reply. It was more out of curiosity, than to "report a problem".

I see the benefits of recording the User Agent! : )

BTW, should,'t this be added to the Privacy Policy? : )
posted by ScreapDK Community Leader4 years and 6 months ago Link
zac
Yes! We're planning an update that consolidates any other changes.
x.15a2
Hey Casper, where are you getting that message from? When I select "New Idea" and work through the prompts, the message that I get is:

Note: Please be aware that along with any uploaded screenshots, we store your user agent (browser version): https://duckduckgo.com/?q=user+agent
(Can't attach images in reply)
I like the message that you are seeing better because it is more clear that any feedback submitted results in the data being collected.
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader4 years and 6 months ago Link
getty
posted by getty 4 years and 6 months ago Link
ScreapDK
Okay! Earlier today, I had what, I myself would call a brilliant idea! : D Okay, here we go! : P

Why not make the logging of the user agent be an opt-in.

You could write something like this in the notice box:
"If it's okay with you, we would like save some information about, which browser and OS you're using.
You can see what exactly we save here: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=user+agent

Note: This may decrease you privacy, but it will help us to better solve your problem and, in the long term, help us make DuckDuckGo even better.
Isn't that a win-win situation? We thought so, too. : )

-Insert unchecked(!) check box here- Yes, I want to share my User Agent.
posted by ScreapDK Community Leader4 years and 6 months ago Link
zac
nifty idea--we'll definitely discuss. As always, the community platform is open source so if nobody updates the code, we still enjoy getting suggestions like this so we can make improvements.

Cheers!