So you dont have a twitter ehh? Guess your screwed

[Old Forum guest] anonymous
Created: 6 years and 11 months ago
I like the whole twitter thing, but i dont even have a twitter. Cant we just use the same thing but with preset backgrounds and no twitter box? Please?

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

I completely agree! I have no interest in tweeting or following any other twittery birds, but I do like the customizable homepage.
If you could just put in a url to a background, and then have options to tweak font color so it was still visible, that would be perfect!
I wish there was also a way to integrate a feedreader or an email service in place of the tweets, but I realize that could be quite difficult. (well, maybe not the feed reader part, depending on whether there is a good feedreader for perl)
Make sure the images don't actually go through the server at any point though, because I would want to use a localhost/ or file:/// image to increase the speed.
posted by crazedpsyc 6 years and 11 months ago Link
There is a good feedreader for perl (XML::Feed).

posted by [Old Forum notriddle] • 6 years and 11 months ago Link
I as well did not have a Twitter account until yegg added this option and I don't think I will ever use Twitter for any other purpose. I do like the ability to change the background and it does give me links to news which I also want. The reader in Twitter is not exactly what I would like to see but it is a start. I would actually just prefer the ability to add my favorite links grouped under major categories, but I know DDG has not evolved into this….YET!

From what I read, Twitter and Facebook do have the ability to help promote DDG and I'm sure that using the existing interface was simpler than creating a new one from scratch. Although not exactly what I was looking for, there are millions of Twitter and Facebook fans out there that will probably love it. Hopefully, they will share DDG with all of their fellow Twitterers or whatever you call them. I definitely see advantages for yegg to keep the Twitter option and if something similar could be done with Facebook it could also be valuable to the future of DDG.

Now back to us who would prefer the ability to change the background and add favorite links without Twitter or Facebook. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, one of the things that make’s DDG so great is all of the options that yegg offers his users. I sure if we are patient and yegg sees value added he we will eventually offer this option for us non-Twitterers, as well.

Yegg, just stay the course and keep up the good work!
posted by [Old Forum oldhack] • 6 years and 11 months ago Link
Part of the issue now is we still don't have accounts or user storage. We could offer just an external url for a background, but I worry about the security implications there.

We could potentially have a flag to hide the widget though; then you'd just get the background functionality.
posted by yegg Staff6 years and 11 months ago Link
i like the flag idea
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 6 years and 11 months ago Link
Seeing as how DDG uses and donates to FOSS projects, I think it wold be fitting to offer an alternate option for Identica (StatusNet) in lieu of the tweeters.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 6 years and 11 months ago Link