Add a language option in search results

[Old Forum kilobug] anonymous
Created: 8 years and 4 months ago
For non-english users, it would be great to able to search within pages of native language (or within english ones). Automatic language recognition of a page at crawl time sounds possible to me, but I don't know how much it'll saturate the crawler. Would be a very useful feature if it's possible.

Anyway, congratulations for the good work, I'm happy with duckduckgo !

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

yegg
Thx--yes, there have been a lot of requests around this type of feature as well as switching between localization/language on a per-search basis. I am certainly aware of the issue and it is on my list to think about.
posted by yegg Staff8 years and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
And for Zero click. Okay, things like Stack Overflow are English, but Wikipedia for example would bring many new users.
Language is really the main weak point. Okay, not to me but to a lot of people I know and would like to suggest this search engine. It so great in every aspect, but it really has a big weakness here.

I really hope it will get proper i18n soon. DDG is so great!
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 8 years and 22 days ago Link
anonymous
We could use this option based on the website meta tag language...

Mark Garret
posted by [Old Forum mark-garret] • 8 years and 22 days ago Link
yegg
You mean the accept-language header from the browser?
posted by yegg Staff8 years and 22 days ago Link
anonymous
Well, there is two approaches I would use:
1. <meta name="description" lang="en".....and/or
2. Get the user OS language

Mark Garret
posted by [Old Forum mark-garret] • 8 years and 21 days ago Link
yegg
I'm thinking now of adding a drop down bang for this per search location feature. So it would do an IP country detection and then offer say a region DE bang that you could switch to.
posted by yegg Staff8 years and 21 days ago Link
anonymous
If a user uses a let's say: Windows (German language)...This can be detected....Or the Browser language....

I am forcing this idea because of the problem: I travel to Japan and the results will come in Japanese...So, using the OS language option is very solid...

Mark Garret
posted by [Old Forum mark-garret] • 8 years and 21 days ago Link
yegg
Right, well I would never be forcing the language on you. Additionally, and this isn't necessarily the best way to do things, but the way it currently is--it is regional based, not language.
posted by yegg Staff8 years and 20 days ago Link
anonymous
+1
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 7 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
You can download and create more search engines for Firefox at http://mycroft.mozdev.org/
(Already existing duckduckgo engines can be found here)

You can tag these search engines with keywords (again, see Mozilla help if you don't know how-to), all you need to do from now on is to enter the keyword into the _address_-bar along with your search term -- et voilà.

Example: I have keyworded duckduckgo with d and g**gle with g, which means that
d test
g test
searches on the respective sites for "test".
(This is how I do _all_ my searches, because IMHO it is the most convenient way.)

I just submitted a german version (it's easy, I never made one before, and no registration is needed).
I keyworded it "de", works.

That's all I need.
(Actually, it would be nice if the 0-click box used the respective wikipedia, but that's a minor thing.)

BTW: I learned about duckduckgo just today (via lifehacker...) and am a fan already. Great job!
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 7 years and 8 months ago Link