Searching in multiple but specific websites for a given term

[Old Forum tushara] anonymous
Created: 7 years and 11 months ago
It would be nice if I could search in multiple specific sites for a given search term. For example, if I want to search for video editing software, a general search gives me results from a lot of sites that I don't trust. If I want to search for this term only on, say lifehacker and downloadsquad, then it should be possible to search using something like "!lifehacker !downloadsquad video editing software" (or using some other format). This would be a feature that I  would use very often. Right now, I have to search these sites individually.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

anonymous
The way I see it, there are two options:

1. There would need to be some sort of split screen program.

2. Multiple searches (such as !g !y Hello World) would open up multiple tabs/windows, using JavaScript.

Of the two, I would prefer #2. :)

Also, there would need to be a way of telling DDG that you want to search multiple search engines. In the above example, DDG would search Google for "!y Hello World". Therefore, the syntax should be something like "!g & !y Hello World" (we could call it &amp.)

:D

posted by [Old Forum mithrandir] • 7 years and 11 months ago Link
anonymous
There is a third alternative, where the results from both sites are shown in the same page, interleaved in the same order that they would appear in a general search if the results of all other sites were removed which is the way I would prefer it. In summary, searching in multiple sites using this format would be equivalent to searching for the term in general, and then removing results from all other sites except the ones specified.
posted by [Old Forum tushara] • 7 years and 11 months ago Link
anonymous
Would you only be interested in this feature during query construction — or would you also be interested in this feature as part of the results page?
posted by [Old Forum jordan5] • 7 years and 11 months ago Link
anonymous
I would say both. See my comment above on Mithrandir's post.

yegg
What if the site: syntax allowed for multiple domains?
posted by yegg Staff7 years and 11 months ago Link
anonymous
"site:" searches the entire website's contents, whereas !bang uses that site's search engine.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 7 years and 11 months ago Link
anonymous
I guess it would make more sense for the site: syntax to support multiple domains rather than the bang syntax, since I would want to do the search on those sites using the DDG search engine, rather than the site's own (as Guest points out). So yeah, that would seem to be a better solution. It would be awesome if that were possible.
anonymous
The previous comment was mine btw.
anonymous
If implemented I'd recommend doing it the way Google does it:
  1. video editing software site:http://www.downloadsquad.com/ OR site:http://lifehacker.com/

anonymous
Yeah this syntax makes the most sense I guess.