What DDG needs to get my full adoption

[Old Forum donnydemarco] anonymous
Created: 8 years and 2 months ago
DDG needs the following in order to get me to switch completely

Image search (not !bang)
Android search widget
BlackBerry search application
An easy way to embed a DDG search box in web page (this may already exist)

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

yegg
Thx for sharing. Android & Blackberry are both in the works. Search box code should be at http://duckduckgo.com/spread.html -- is that what you meant?

As for image search, I wonder what you would think of basically syndicating bing images and/or yahoo or some other provider?
posted by yegg Staff8 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
I don't really care how image search is implemented though I must admit I like the way DDGs results are tailored to my searches.  Hopefully you can do the same for image searching.

Just a side not but I'm liking the endless scroll that both bing & google have.
posted by [Old Forum archaios7] • 8 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
Why don't you link to http://duckduckgo.com/spread.html from anywhere on DDG?

It's hard to find. :-)
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 8 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
Honestly, Yahoo and Bing have subpar image searches.  The only one that works with well most of the time is Google. Making an image search engine is ridiculously hard and I think adding them as a gimmick would turn more people off than on.  If  Gabriel can find the time and energy to make one that can rival Google that would be crazy awesome but it would be more time than it is  worth currently.  An inline image search from them would only give others the impression that this site is no better than Bing or yahoo or whatever.  They will just go back to the powerhouse of Google.  
posted by [Old Forum elektrischeis] • 8 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous

Thx for sharing. Android & Blackberry are both in the works. Search box code should be at http://duckduckgo.com/spread.html -- is that what you meant?
Yes that's what I meant. Thanks!

As for image search, I wonder what you would think of basically syndicating bing images and/or yahoo or some other provider?

I'm not exactly sure what "syndicating images" means -- does it mean it will redirect you to a Bing or Yahoo image search when you search? Or will it show them inline with the DDG page frame and everything?

I agree with archaios7 about the endless scrolling, although I don't like how the images pop out with Google Images -- kind of an annoying feature.

Essentially having a native image search function would be the best. Until DDG has a good seamless image search function, it will be hard for me to use as my primary search engine.

Great job getting the Firefox add-ons out quick.

yegg
Syndicating images means using Bing or Yahoo images, but showing them in-line.
anonymous
Yes, then I suppose syndicating the images would be acceptable -- as long as it still appears like it's all on DDG. I'm thinking of implementing this on a company level -- small business (around 120 computers).
posted by [Old Forum donnydemarco] • 8 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
News is the big one for me.

I know, the more we say this, the more you might think we want you to replicate Google.

Basically, all I use Google regularly for are: searches, Google News (Yahoo! News does not cut it—it is biased toward certain sources), and, occasionally, image search. I do the odd blog search. Everything else I’ve managed to get elsewhere.

Google News is perhaps too loose in what it allows in. Examiner.com, for example, is full of spelling mistakes and looks like it has no editor. But Yahoo! News tends to be restricted to AP, Reuter and print sources that it knows about. Something in between would go down well for me.
yegg
Happy to the change the provider on the right if there is something better than Y! & Google. Ask news?
anonymous
i'm already a complete convert to ddg from google. there's nothing you couldn't do better, i think, except advanced image searches (by sizes, etc)
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 8 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
Hi Gabriel: I was the August 16 “guest”. I hadn’t used Ask News before, but after you mentioned it, I checked it out. It seems to be a really good halfway house between Google News and Yahoo! News. I’d support any change to it as DDG’s news source on the right-hand side if you were to go ahead.
posted by [Old Forum jackyan] • 7 years and 11 months ago Link
yegg
Thx for checking it out--I agree, I think they do a pretty good job. I like how they also have good categories.
posted by yegg Staff7 years and 11 months ago Link