Sidebar ideas

[Old Forum gu3miles] anonymous
Created: 8 years and 3 months ago
It was suggested to start a thread on the "future" of the stuff on the side. Obviously it needs to change/go away so lets get a thinkin' about it.

Personally, I think it should disappear completely from the side and those examples snuggle up in the zero-click info. 

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

anonymous
I made this topic because there are ideas affecting the entire page.

It's a good idea, though. The links to Settings, Goodies etc. can be moved to a small area next to the search field and the !Bang search links to below the zero-click info. (Horizontally after each other).
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 8 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
Wasn't logged on.

posted by [Old Forum mrmagical] • 8 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
I would also suggest as an alternative that the "settings and spread ddg" go right under the search bar instead of to the right of it.
posted by [Old Forum gu3miles] • 8 years and 3 months ago Link
yegg
In general, I'm going to start rethinking a lot of the site-wide design, and would love your continued ideas (off-the-wall or otherwise). 

As for the sidebar, the reason for it there (as opposed to on top) is to put less clutter between the search box and the results. On bigger monitors the sidebar can be off to the side and forgotten about (or turned off) if never used. That is harder if it is right by the box or in between the box and the results. That said, I'm really open to moving/changing/destroying it, etc., but I'm going to think about it a bit holistically so it might be a little while.
posted by yegg Staff8 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
Idea - Collapsable/expandable sections:

How about having collapsable/expandable sections in the sidebar? A section would only be avaliable if it contains useful content related to the search. A collapsed section would only display as a title (interacting with the title expands/collapses).

A possibility to collapse/expand the entire sidebar should also be avaliable.
When the entire sidebar is collapsed, only a small element in the corner is displayed. Hovering the element would temporarily expand the sidebar until the mouse leaves it and clicking the element would keep the sidebar as expanded.
posted by [Old Forum mrmagical] • 8 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
The sidebar could be like a search assistant where other searches (!bangs), meanings and related topics show up.

posted by [Old Forum guest] • 8 years and 3 months ago Link