Free Designer

[Old Forum dgeorgeny] anonymous
Created: 8 years and 3 months ago
I will do the graphic design of anything about Duck Duck Go or any member's website for free.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

anonymous
Hi George, you're certainly welcome to help out.
I don't know what you should do, though (I don't run this place).
posted by [Old Forum mrmagical] • 8 years and 3 months ago Link
yegg
Thank you very much for the offer. I don't have anything in particular at the moment except what I said in my other thread, which is thinking about how you might improve the search UX either holistically or incrementally. I'm collecting feedback and as a designer I would highly value it.
posted by yegg Staff8 years and 3 months ago Link
yegg
Here's something I just thought of :). Now that the favicons appear much more, it is sort of obvious when they don't appear. It might be nice to have a very subtle default favicon so everything appears like it lines up. Any ideas?

One idea I think is interesting is the chrome default for when an image breaks.

To see that, open chrome and go to http://duckduckgo.com/Test_(assessment) -- the third and fifth links down appear as subtle squares (at least on my browser).
anonymous
A subtle square or generic document icon (blank sheet of paper, like this: ) would work, I think.
yegg
You can see what that looks like right now on http://tmbg.duckduckgo.com -- seems a bit too distracting to me, and document may imply more of a document than a Web page. Something more subtle/less specific/more generic?
anonymous
It's easy to use an icon with less contrast:
Both Firefox and Chrome use this kind of icon for sites without a favicon.
A sheet of paper is also commonly used as an icon for unidentified file types.

A globe is often used to symbolise the Internet and could be used by itself or with the document base:

One could use a chains or something which looks a bit like a webpage , but that would feel... weird?

A simple square would be fine, too.

Of course there could be better ideas, these are just some quick thoughts.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 8 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
Hahaha, oh wow. It logged me out while I was typing.
yegg
The light contrast ones seem to work the best. I have it up on tmbg right now. Let me know if you want me to try anything else.
anonymous
It's better than the icon with more contrast or no icon at all.
It doesn't draw too much attention and says nothing more than 'this is a link without a real favicon'.

And uh, the icon is stolen from the Fugue set (I just picked it because I have a copy of the whole set uploaded) which is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 3.0.

I could just draw a custom one to avoid having to put a link back (after all, it's just a sheet of paper).
yegg
Cool--I think it is worth experimenting with on on the live site. 
anonymous
Hmmm...favicons are tough to get too crazy with. I think the simple square works best because sometimes default icons are confusing. I forget when and where, but I remember having default favicons with the document shape with a red "X" on it. It was really annoying because it seemed like the page was broken or something when in reality it wasn't.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 8 years and 3 months ago Link
yegg
What about an even less contrast square? The current one seemed too noticeable.
anonymous
As subtle as it can get: or
yegg
That actually looks pretty good--up on tmbg now. Except for that it clashes with the Chrome default when the image breaks. There is currently a bug in the provider that cause some to break, so for now I wonder if we should just take that chrome default and run with it.
anonymous
Chrom.
yegg
That's on tmbg now.
anonymous
I'm open to seeing your design.
posted by [Old Forum eric.leebow] • 8 years and 3 months ago Link