DDG API

[Old Forum guest] anonymous
Created: 7 years and 11 months ago
Hi, I was playing with the API and noticed that the search results are very different from the results in the web interface. I wanted to use the API to provide my website with a search function, but it doesn't even return results in some searches while it does in the web interface.

I'm using the API that's describes here: http://duckduckgo.com/api.html

Regards,
Frank

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

yegg
Hi Frank, yes the API is not for the full search results. I have plans to overhaul that page and make it all more clear.

The API is just for the 0-click info, e.g. essentially answering the question what is X. The reason why it doesn't involve the whole search results is that I syndicate a lot of APIs and I'm not allowed to put them into an API.
posted by yegg Staff7 years and 11 months ago Link
anonymous
yegg13, currently your API does not ouput valid XML, because the '&' char is not escaped in some URLs.

If you try to open this url with firefox, you will get a "XML Parsing Error: not well-formed" because of that.
posted by [Old Forum eet-fuk] • 7 years and 11 months ago Link
yegg
Thx--fixed! Note there is a json output as well if you change x to json.
posted by yegg Staff7 years and 11 months ago Link
anonymous
Thanks man, you're fast. ;)
posted by [Old Forum eet-fuk] • 7 years and 11 months ago Link