Song Lyrics

[Old Forum benthebear] anonymous
Created: 7 years and 11 months ago
Quite ofte, I search for Lyrics of a special song. I usually search the name of the artist, the name of the song and "lyrics" in my request, like this:
http://duckduckgo.com/?q=Daniel+Merriweather+Cigarettes+lyrics

DDG  - like Google and all the other Search Engines - delivers several Results from the endless web of Lyrics-Portals, which all contain the lyrics, but … I don't really like to surf them, because they seem … horrible and untrustworthy.

I'd love to see DDG cope with searches like these more intelligently. Actually I have no clue myself, what "intelligently" may mean, but maybe, you DDGuys have an idea about that.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

anonymous
This would be great!
posted by [Old Forum eric.leebow] • 7 years and 11 months ago Link
yegg
This is actually in progress. However, I'm not the implementation idea matches your query, but we can work on that :)

The idea is to index each song lyric in a deep index and allow phrase searching on it so if you typed in a phrase from a song then it would pull the full song lyrics and show it to you in the 0-click box.

With your query, I could see a category extension, where if you typed in 'X lyrics' it would give you the list of available lyrics for X, sort of like http://duckduckgo.com/?q=simpsons+characters
posted by yegg Staff7 years and 11 months ago Link
anonymous
This would be good, or how about a !bang for lyrics?
posted by [Old Forum eric.leebow] • 7 years and 11 months ago Link
yegg
!lyrics already exists :)
posted by yegg Staff7 years and 11 months ago Link
anonymous
yegg13 you are such a now it all and you are such a sad person to comment on literally everything! I think you are so gay
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 7 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
I knew, you would come up with something clever. :]
Looking forward to that!

By the way: I just impressed some collegues with the  Simpsons Charakters Search.
Haven't seen that before. Really impressive. Really!
posted by [Old Forum benthebear] • 7 years and 11 months ago Link
anonymous
be wary of copyrights ... the music industry is full of bitches.

they bite hard
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 7 years and 10 months ago Link
yegg
This is a good point. On the other hand, all those lyrics sites out there display the full lyrics, so that is why I figured I could as well, and link to them. But I suppose I could show less, e.g. a verse (paragraph) and then link to the source site for the full lyrics. That would certainly be more in line with fair use.
posted by yegg Staff7 years and 10 months ago Link
anonymous
I hope you are willing to link to original sources for all zero click sources. Cpedia's effort really is pathetic.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 7 years and 10 months ago Link
yegg
Lyrics went live today.
posted by yegg Staff7 years and 9 months ago Link
anonymous
I already saw it yesterday! :]
Thanks!
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 7 years and 9 months ago Link
anonymous
This is a really cool zero-click

One thing, I just searched for ?q=beatles+paperback+writer+lyrics and ugly things happen.

MTV's LyricsMode site is declaring charset=iso-8859-1 while DDG uses charset=UTF-8

While you could work this out, another suggestion would be to switch to LyricWiki as a provider. They have an API and they're apparently in the clear legally as they have an agreement with the Gracenote database.

See http://lyrics.wikia.com/LyricWiki:API

-Liam
yegg
Thx for the references. We will fix this encoding problem on the next update (as well some other bugs!).

Thought about LyricWiki but LyricsMode had a significantly broader coverage. Ultimately, I'd like to use several providers to get more comprehensive coverage. 

I personally think what DDG is currently doing is fair use in both the traditional sense and via the search engine snippet exception. We're linking to the source (in this case LyricsMode) and only taking paragraph excerpts.
posted by yegg Staff7 years and 9 months ago Link
anonymous
This is a great feature, thanks.
anonymous
that was me, sorry :)
anonymous
Those were me! 
posted by [Old Forum gingerbeardman] • 7 years and 9 months ago Link