Truncating Lists

[Old Forum eric.leebow] anonymous
Created: 7 years and 10 months ago
With lists such as Simpsons Characters, wouldn't it be nice if you could simply see the entire list without the descriptions of them?  Simply put, there would be a button to collapse the list, and just provide the pure list without the pictures as well.

The list would look like this:

Abraham Simpson   
Apu Nahasapeemapetilon   
Barney Gumble 
Bart Simpson

Now, this way, we can just see the list, then there could be a simple   A to Z or Z to A, to sort the list alphabetically or in reverse alphabetical order.  Possibly even show the popularity of each Simpsons character.  

Sometimes people just want to see the list, and be able to use this list.

An email feature might be good as well, send this list off via email.  

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

yegg
It is in a pretty tight form, i.e. the images are small and the snippets are short. What do you get out of having it even more compressed? The idea with the list is that you can use it as is or you use it to explore/browse in related topics, and in both cases I think the images/snippets add to those goals.
posted by yegg Staff7 years and 10 months ago Link
anonymous
I would sometimes want to just copy the list without the information.  For instance, if someone is doing business research to find law firms, they just want the list names to quickly copy and paste them in a spreadsheet.  I'm researching the list:  Law firms based in New York City. 

So, when I enter "Law firms based in New York City" I get a very long list of the firms.  I want the complete list without having to click more on each of the letters.  If I wanted to find out more on each individual one, then there would be a + sign next to each.  

posted by [Old Forum eric.leebow] • 7 years and 10 months ago Link
anonymous
hmm, eric's idea gives me the idea about being able to export such search results (csv, excel, etc.)

support for a query of the type:
    law firms, new york export:csv
would output a downloadable csv file of law firms located in nyc, with possibly other attributes/addresses/info/links/etc

mt

posted by [Old Forum guest] • 7 years and 10 months ago Link
yegg
This is why the API exists :)
posted by yegg Staff7 years and 10 months ago Link