display top sites for a search term

[Old Forum guest] anonymous
Created: 8 years and 1 month ago
hey gabriel
if i search for python it would be cool if all the top sites (e.g. authoritative) mentioning php could be listed as a column on the left (like python.org, djangoproject.com, etc.)
similar to what you have for the "DDG knows Python can mean different things..." disambiguation thing, but not at the top of the results. it could be located at the left of the results in a way similar to how the "try search on" options on the right are
or if you remember clusty.com (RIP), something like the "clusters" (similar words) they had in their left column but actual websites instead
thnx
mt

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

yegg
I'm a bit confused. So would you click that list you would be taken to that site to search or you would get search results for that site on DDG (like a site: search)? 

And I presume you're saying sort of identify the query type as health/python/whatever and then have a set of sites for each type?
posted by yegg Staff8 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
ah, i didn't exactly clarify its intent/purpose
for example, if i typed git github as my query, the left column could display gitorious.org, etc.
i.e. other sites that are similar to github but might not show up in results

to continue a theme from a different thread, it's as if i was digging for music and i wanted to find some tracks by eminem
the main body (middle) of the page would return results primarily around eminem and his music
whereas the left column would display results from other artists that may be in a similar vein (like icp, esham, d-12, christopher wallace, etc.)

hope that clarifies
mt
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 8 years and 1 month ago Link
yegg
OK, gotcha. We do some of that a bit now, e.g. you can click on 'Similar sites' and you get related and suggested topics with certain searches. But we haven't gone as far as a clusty or ask by keeping that bar on all the time.
posted by yegg Staff8 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
i just found something similar to what i'm trying to describe:

the right side has some "related-esque" stuff going on, tho a bit noisy for my taste

mt
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 8 years and 1 month ago Link