What's so radical or revolutionary about Duck Duck Go that the average person can easily comprehend?

[Old Forum eric.leebow] anonymous
Created: 8 years and 1 month ago
Just wondering, as the average person may not care for the !Bang, yet beyond that, what's so radical?  Is there something they are hiding that will be super cool in the future?  

Is it the fact that someone can enter Simpson's Characters and get a list of them, or is there something else?

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

yegg
I try to explain this on the about page: http://duckduckgo.com/about.html

Of course I'm open to ideas so I'd turn it around and say what would wow the average person?
posted by yegg Staff8 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
good question
the answer to this is fairly easy....

one can illustrate differences between search engines in a VARIETY of ways
videos, illustrations, demos, feature check list, etc.
because there are more features added to duckduckgo.com more frequently, that "about" page is starting to get a bit busy (it's almost looking like google wave during a tsunami...)
maybe focus on 3 or 4 on that page, with a link to "even more features!"
it's not as coherent/focused as it could be
i'm not a UI/graphic design person, but i know it's perfect when i see it....

at the very least i'd like to see some sort of demo illustrating search results quality between the major search engines (a search "shootout" if you will)
let them all put their money where their mouths are
a number of aspects could be used as various metrics
this would be interesting, and could be good publicity for all
(wondering if any of those search engine sites already do something like this?...)

the main things that appeal to me personally about duckduckgo.com are :
1. privacy/security
2. gabriel's insanely immediate responsiveness and soliciting input from the users
3. listening to user feedback and implementing their ideas immediately, or offering reasons for not implementing certain features. i.e., DIALOGUE and COMMUNICATION, which are 2 features missing from the majority of large software companies
4. using duckduckgo.com has improved my ability to search for stuff on the internet. i have yet to see this discussed or mentioned anywhere

support and evidence for points 1 to 3 are in the public record, and he's been handling this perfectly consistent for quite a long time now

at the same time, there are the "interesting" eye-candy aspects/novelty that could attract new users (and their curiosity) that might not appeal to us "search engine veterans", such as the "simpsons characters" feature (it's neat, but can i do it for every tv show? how do i get it to work for other shows? can you do it for sports teams? etc.)
so it depends who the user is and what they would consider important

unfortunately this has the appearance of coders vs. non-coders (i.e. power users vs novice users)

thnx
mt
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 8 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
one more thang....
i also see a few users claiming duckduckgo.com is "faster" than other search engines
this is obviously a measurable aspect
thus it would be interesting to perform experiments verifying such claims, otherwise the claim has that "i read it on the internet...." feel

mt
anonymous
and another thang (bonus footage)....
duckduckgo and verizon aren't teaming up to slow down your internet connects

:)

mt
yegg
Thx for sharing. I've updated the About page a bit :).
posted by yegg Staff8 years and 1 month ago Link