DDG Themes

yegg Staff yegg
Created: 7 years and 9 months ago
A lot of people have good design ideas that aren't right for the default theme, e.g. black background. However, I would like to make themes and have those themes available as a setting. So if you'd like to make a theme, here's how to get started.
  1. Check out the latest unminimized CSS (refresh that link for latest).
  2. Tweak the CSS to your liking (I like using Firebug).
  3. Report back your set of CSS changes and the name of your theme.
  4. I'll check it out and if it looks good add it to the list!

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

anonymous
It'd be great if there was a base CSS file that was commented, eg. it's not immediately obvious what .ci, #t etc. are there for.
posted by [Old Forum slaterusa] • 7 years and 9 months ago Link
yegg
You're absolutely right--I'll put this on my list to add comments to that file.
posted by yegg Staff7 years and 9 months ago Link
anonymous
Another small thing: The site has many elements that have inline CSS, which cannot be overridden by user styles (eg. stylish for firefox & chrome)
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 7 years and 9 months ago Link
anonymous
Oh, and some IDs would be great, too. For example, the homepage cannot be styled much due to inline CSS and no IDs on elements.

I should just make ONE post, instead of 10 in a row...
yegg
The homepage is a bit different because I didn't want to include an external CSS file, but I can move those IDs to the top I suppose.
anonymous
Hey, it would be great if you also give unminified js file. Themes could use it ( for,say, keybindings or effects ) and also we could play with it to fix glitches ( some keybindings don't work for my xulrunner-based browser for example).

cheers.
yegg
http://duckduckgo.com/duckduck.js (refresh for latest).
yegg
I created a new github repository for the themes: http://github.com/duckduckgo/themes

I initially added the unminimized JS & CSS, and will add comments to the CSS.
yegg
I've added a bunch of comments to the style.css file in the repository. I hope this makes things easier!

I take the points about "iding" more things and dropping in-line CSS, but it seemed better not to drastically change things atm. So if there are particular things you want me to edit, i.e. interface elements you want to style, just let me know and I'll work on it.
anonymous
What are the choices we have to actually apply these themes? I figure Stylish is a great way for Firefox users (and converting them to Greasemonkey would expand to Safari/Opera users) but the off-beat browsers, like Uzbl, for instance, doesn't support userContent.css-like features. (Or at least, not at the current git revision I'm using.. :) )

Perhaps a new "&css=" parameter that can take a url? Local and remote ones, for both unofficial ones hosted at a user's website, and those you deem 'official' enough to host on ddg.com. :)
Replacing Emoji...
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 7 years and 8 months ago Link
yegg
I was planning on putting them right into the settings, so it would be independent of the user's browser.
posted by yegg Staff7 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
This is a great idea and making it independent of the user's browser.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 7 years and 8 months ago Link
yegg
I'm going to start a new thread detailing the new DDG theme code, which is now more straightforward.

Here it is: http://duck.co/topic/new-ddg-themes
posted by yegg Staff7 years and 5 months ago Link