Let me tell if you google has better search results.

[Old Forum guest] anonymous
Created: 7 years and 11 months ago
it seems like that data must be useful.  I have ddg as my default search but often find myself trying google after a ddg search that doesn't turn up what I am looking for. 

I know you don't want to send people away but I *want* a 'try this search in google' button.  You can even put it in an iframe, or even better, would be to just have a little ajax request I could make for whatever links google has on it's page for the same search that are not showing on ddg's search results.

like:
search for: 'foo' would have results like:

google                        ddg
foo-abc                       foo-abc
foo-zzz                       foo-yyy
foo-xxx                       foo-xxx

And I would be able to click 'what does google have' and `foo-zzz' will pop up. 

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

yegg
In the past there has been links to get to Google quicker, but it seemed people were using them as a crutch and not giving DDG a chance. I understand this is not what you're doing, however. This is why I added the short !bang shortcut, !g. It's pretty quick--just hit / or h to get to the search box and then add !g to the end.
posted by yegg Staff7 years and 11 months ago Link
anonymous
Yeah that's good enough actually, once my fingers learn to keep up with what my mind is trying to find.

I still think, if you could potentially make sure of the data, that a 'google is better for this search'  type button could be useful in the long run.  

You obviously don't have the resources to keep up with what google is doing, but I would much rather use ddg than google, but sometimes google's results are a clear winner.  If over time, dedicated users could point that out and your system somehow learn from it (I understand that it's a lot of work to implement the learning, but you could start collecting data well before then) it would encourage people to stick with ddg as their default search.

posted by [Old Forum guest] • 7 years and 11 months ago Link