Win a prize by searching DuckDuckGo

[Old Forum eric.leebow] anonymous
Created: 7 years and 8 months ago
Ok, I know this idea is a no go from the start, yet wasn't there a search engine that allowed people to win a prize just by searching?  I actually tried this search engine before, yet after I found I wasn't winning anything, kind of gave up.  What's your take on this "Cracker Jack" approach to search engines?  Is this good or not good for search engines?  

I call it the Cracker Jack approach, as it would be similar the snack.  However, a prize wouldn't be included with every search. 

More on Cracker Jack!  

P.S.  This may be cool possibly if it were to "win a duck" as a prize.  

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

yegg
I think it was iWon, but generally this hasn't seemingly been a good way to get long term users.
posted by yegg Staff7 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
True, just wondering what the outcome was.  There was another one as well, maybe a few others.  Wondering why people don't care to stay for winning a prize.
posted by [Old Forum eric.leebow] • 7 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
iWon offered $1 million from memory...

Why not take a leaf out of the Zappos book - random kindness. Zappos sometimes just gives extra to customers, seemingly on a whim, and this generates great word of mouth and press.

You could give a DDG tshirt or something more word-of-mouth-worthy, to every nth visitor, BUT don't advertise it. Let the recipients tell their friends.

Rob
SearchEngineZ
posted by [Old Forum searchenginez] • 7 years and 8 months ago Link
yegg
I do give out free stickers now when people find the post about them and/or this forum :). I have no idea whether it is helping to spread it or not, but it's fun and I think people enjoy it!
posted by yegg Staff7 years and 8 months ago Link