Is it possible to make DuckDuckGo show results from other search engines instead of linking me to them?

[Old Forum richterkuato] anonymous
Created: 7 years and 3 months ago
This is really a technical question and not a FAQ type question.

Would it be possible or practical (for Gabriel Weinberg) to make DuckDuckGo show search results/rankings from other search engines (eg. Google, Yahoo, Bing) instead of linking me to them? Regardless, I'd like to know what, if any, are the obstacles or difficulties in offering that kind of functionality would be.

The only site I've found that does this is Zuula.com. Both Yahoo and Bing results seem to be the same as they would be on their own sites but Google results (surprise, surprise) aren't available in the "Web" or "Video" search categories and in the categories they are available ("Images" and "News") I've found the results don't quite match up to the actual site.

I'm not sure how any of this meta search stuff works so I don't know how they got any of this to work or what Google's issue is (technically speaking). Any light you can shine on this would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a conceptual picture in case it's not clear what I'm talking about:

Searching Yahoo! News with DuckDuckGo.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

anonymous
Well, if you mean showing them by actively asking for them it would be good.  However, this shouldn't just become another dogpile.com with it's own search function.  It needs to first and foremost give DDG results unless stated otherwise. It's a good idea, nonetheless.
posted by [Old Forum elektrischeis] • 7 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
This was my idea that I gave to DuckDuckGo a while back!  

DuckDuckGo will not implement suggestions such as this, and it's not because they don't care about the user, it's because they're still a small startup and do not have the bandwidth to do it.

This would be very hard for them to do right away.

posted by [Old Forum eric.leebow] • 7 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
Okay, I think I've found out what the deal with Google is. Apparently, both Yahoo Search BOSS and Bing 2.0 API have very few restrictions than Google's. Essentially, in an attempt to compete with Google, they opened their search data for anyone to build a search service around. (Interestingly, I found out from the FAQ that BOSS and Bing's API are somehow used to help with DDG results too.)

posted by [Old Forum richterkuato] • 7 years and 3 months ago Link
yegg
You are right it has to do with terms of service. Google, as you pointed out doesn't allow it. Others have different restrictions.

Blekko is doing something similar with Flickr and Amazon, and I'm not opposed to it--I just haven't seen that much of a compelling need to date.
posted by yegg Staff7 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
Thanks you.

I can understand Terms of Service getting in the way and without Google the feature might seem incomplete. I don't think that linking to other search engines is a good idea either because when it comes down to it using one search engine is a lot more convenient than using two or three separate ones. Especially since query sending is one way those links and they don't link back to this site.
yegg
Absolutely, and this is in process via the zero-click box.
posted by yegg Staff7 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
That's a interesting way to do it. I'd like to see how it turns out.