Amazon Associates

[Old Forum guest] anonymous
Created: 7 years and 1 month ago
You don't want to have many ads on duckduckgo, that's okay. But I think it wouldn't hurt anyone if you add an amazon affiliate string to the url, which is called with the !a bang. This way you would make at least some money, which is necessary to work on DDG in the future.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

anonymous
So Amazon can track everything Amazon product you come to from DDG? I think it's a very bad idea. It goes against part of DDG's philosophy.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 7 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
Well, I don't see a difference if DDG use an affiliate link or not. Amazon can track each product coming from DDG now as well, they just have to check the HTTP referrer. So for Amazon there is no change if an affiliate link is used or not, for DDG it would be a difference (money).

Further more the statistics which Amazon provide to partners are anonymized too, DDG has no chance to link any product bought on Amazon to a specific search request. So in my opinion there is no privacy issue.

anonymous
That's not true. Maybe if you read the article you linked to you'd know "
anonymous
Additionally see threads like this: http://duck.co/topic/uk-server
I think we have to find solutions to avoid this kind of answer in future if possible ...
yegg
It's true that the referrer is not sent, in either http or https by default. I see it crossing the privacy line.

It could be opt-in and could encompass way more services; however, I just doubt the opt-in traffic will yield that much right now, making the whole thing seemingly not worth it.

Instead, I will again explore unobtrusive contextual search ads, at most one per page. I had them up at some point, and they were unobtrusive, but just not relevant enough.
posted by yegg Staff7 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
Seeing as the right column is static, and (currently) has lots of white space, perhaps a little Weekly Sponsor text or button ad.

A problem I could see with contextual ads is that you'd be using a 3rd party and any spammy-ish ads might detract from the DDG experience.
posted by [Old Forum searchenginez] • 7 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
Okay sorry, I was wrong there, I tested it by visiting my own site through DDG, and you're right, the referrer ist not sent in that case. But I still think (and that's just my opinion) that using an affiliate link wouldn't be a real privacy issue in that case. Actually you want to hide the search words used on DDG, but when you use !a you send the search words anyway, so the only additional information for amazon would be that the search words come from DDG.

Maybe you can really just make it optional, so !a stays without affiliate link, !a$ will use it. So people can decide if they want to support DDG or not. And if it is just 100$ a month it is still better than nothing to pay the server costs and traffic.