DDG Logo Discussion

[Old Forum mrmagical] anonymous
Created: 7 years and 10 months ago
There have been discussions about the current DDG logo over in the style topic.

The suggestions include:
  • Font change (Fonts decide the shape of letters)
  • Color change (The green color of the word 'Go' could be changed)
  • Layout change
Current logo (for comparison):

My suggestion:

(Tw Cen font and lighter green)

Suggested fonts:
Comparison of the green tones:

Everyone is welcome to provide feedback and ideas in this topic.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

anonymous
Old mor clear font with old green. It looks insanely good and clear!
posted by [Old Forum thekingisdead] • 7 years and 10 months ago Link
anonymous
How about this, then:

(Futura font with old green)
posted by [Old Forum mrmagical] • 7 years and 10 months ago Link
anonymous
I think in general that futura is to small in the width.

BTW: What's the problem with the actual font?
yegg
Here's another one to add to the mix from someone else. I wonder what everyone thinks about it?

Accompanying notes: "play[s] up the whimsical aspect of the DDG brand, and to me that means playing with slightly bolder design elements and, in general, having more fun. Using red lettering makes logo and the text appear as one cohesive unit."
posted by yegg Staff7 years and 10 months ago Link
anonymous
This looks great! Perhaps a little bit less Bolded? Is this possible? And is this futura or the existing font?
anonymous
It looks playful and childish, not stylish.
It's certainly possible to improve on it, though.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 7 years and 10 months ago Link
anonymous
DDG definitely needs a rounded font treatment for the logo, to play off the duck graphic.
The font above looks a bit "childish", as Guest says, but perhaps even a lighter weight would appear more professional.

yegg
Here are my current thoughts.

Old logo
 -- Like duck part; don't want to change it.
 -- Century Gothic (old font) was at one point pervasive throughout the site, but now this is its only place left, so it could use an upgrade.
 -- Like how it maintains some professionalism with the logo. I actually get a lot of complaints the site is too childish, and this really helps it I think. In case you never saw it, this was the old old logo.

New Green
--Don't see much difference on my laptop (can tell more on my desktop w/ big monitors).
--Agree that if it is bolder, lighter makes more sense.
--So good with this change.

Font
--Would like to see some mockups with those other fonts.
--The Futura one looks pretty good, but is too stretched vertically.
--Like the curvature on the 20th cen. but agree there is something less clear about it.
--Like the bubble font, but think it is too childish given we're already pigeonholed in that area.

Red text
--Think by itself it looks pretty good, but with the logo it seems too much and takes away some of the professionalism. Still prefer black.
posted by yegg Staff7 years and 10 months ago Link
anonymous
Futura and 20th Cen are VERY similar. The biggest difference is the height.

20th Cen has a Light Version which would looks something like this:

(Tw Cen Light test without font borders)

I'll see how it looks in Illustrator with added borders when I get home (It'll be slightly bolder, a lot like normal Futura but with less vertical stretching).

Edit:

(Tw Cen Light, old green)

It's more clear than the regular Tw Cen, and the thickness can be adjusted.
anonymous
Look at this:

It's awesome. Put a 'c' next to that and it'll look a bit like a duck's head.
anonymous
I really like this K looks like a ducks bill that is open. Meaning it is saying something which is what you want the search duck to help you with.

Hmm... there is an idea. How to incorporate the duck as a search assistant without being corny?
anonymous
Search assistant? I would prefer a tip box somewhere, a change of the 'Goodies' page and possibly a page for building advanced searches.
anonymous
Old is better than new :-)
anonymous
I agree that the futura is vertically stretched way too far. I like 'Mr Eaves modern' as a replacement. It's modern and stylized, but doesnt have the sharp corners of futura.

I also think the Duck should do more! I want to see him animated and do playful things. Those holiday icons would be fun.
anonymous
I really like the current logo.
BUT
A little story :D
One day I decided to put a DuckDuckGo logo/ad to my website. For that I wanted a vector version of it. But I didn't find it! :p So... I recreated it with VectorMagic and Inkscape. And during that, I discovered the font AND that it was stretched! I don't like the stretch, but that font width and height are cool... Maybe something can be done to the fact that the horizontal lines in the font are more thick than the vertical ones?
posted by [Old Forum blaxpirit] • 7 years and 10 months ago Link
anonymous
Old Green Looks good!  Futura font with old green looks good also!
anonymous
I can't really tell the two greens apart on either of my displays, but the lighter shade does feel a bit crisper with the new font. I prefer Tw Cen to Futura; something about the roundness of the G. 
posted by [Old Forum chetan] • 7 years and 10 months ago Link
anonymous
I prefer old logo with new green (it's a little less looking like a green apple). I think, the font which is in use at the moment is really good!
anonymous
An animated Duck would be cool! One search engine I know of has an animated characters, it's called Redz.com yet it's a completely different concept.
posted by [Old Forum eric.leebow] • 7 years and 10 months ago Link
anonymous
No, this is bad and distracting :D
posted by [Old Forum blaxpirit] • 7 years and 10 months ago Link
anonymous
Unfortunately, I have to agree with blaxpirit.

Adding a random chance (like 1 out of 3000) of seeing a special duck (not holiday related) on the homepage would be cool, though. If you want to dicuss the duck character and suggest variations, this is probably a better topic.
anonymous

(This is what I see when I try with any serif font)
anonymous
That's awesome.
anonymous
Ditto. Monocles and serif fonts deserve each other.
posted by [Old Forum gu3miles] • 7 years and 10 months ago Link
anonymous
+1 :) :)
posted by [Old Forum dhruvbird] • 7 years and 10 months ago Link
anonymous
@Yegg and @mrmagical
I've found a font which could be very good for DDG: LiHei Pro !
Try it out!
anonymous
A font made for Traditional Chinese? (but also contains Latin and other sets)

What I have found suggests that it's a quite generic sans-serif. Then we could just use another generic sans-serif.
Generic sans serifs give a quite clean and professional impression, which could look good beneath the playful duck icon. It's easy to end up with something fugly if the text is too playful.
I'd rather play with colours and shapes instead of text to give a playful impression.
anonymous
I'm not a professional. I just discovered the font and it looks a bit like the current font. I also think that if the font is to crazy, it is not good, cause the icon is also funky. But this font isn't funky.
As you are the main designer, I think if you say that it is just another sans serif font, then it's ok. I think it is a little bit more clear than the current one
anonymous
If I understand things correctly, it's supposed to be used by people with traditional Chinese as their system language and contains regular letters and symbols to enable the system to display these without switching font.
I don't think such a font is the best choice for a logo.

I'm not the main designer. I barely know anything about design.

I do agree that a generic sans-serif is the most clear choice (which is why it's the most common font type for any interface). But I also think the font could have a little personality (which is why Tw Cen is my favorite candidate right now).