Accent Mark Handling for 0-click

[Old Forum guest] anonymous
Created: 7 years and 9 months ago
If I search without accent marks for a term that has accent marks I don't get the preferred 0-click (wikipedia) content. Somehow the appropriate content shows up as the first hit.
baris manco at Duck Duck Go

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

anonymous
That was me. Forgot to login. My question is to people who often search heavily accented terms — how should DDG handle accent marks?
posted by [Old Forum jordan5] • 7 years and 9 months ago Link
yegg
The login stuff is annoying!

Yeah, I didn't make the rule of collapsing all accents to ascii, though I could. I was hesitant to do so for fear of false positives, but now that I think of it nothing comes to mind.

Anyone think of why this might be a bad rule to implement?
posted by yegg Staff7 years and 9 months ago Link
anonymous
If you plan on offering good search results to every language, dropping accents is a bad idea. Example for portuguese:
Maçã is the portuguese word for Apple. Searching for Maçã on DDG returns results for maca, and not even the portuguese meaning of the word maca (which would be a hospital stretcher).
Maça is also not an acceptable substitute, as it means Club or Mace.
Interestingly enough, DDG suggests searching for Mação after searching for Maçã.

Links:
DDG
Google

EDIT: This forum breaks the links :(
posted by [Old Forum jake-denis] • 7 years and 9 months ago Link
yegg
Thx--yeah, this is the reason I didn't put any explicit removal of them in there.
posted by yegg Staff7 years and 9 months ago Link